Book recommendations for Bifurcation Diagrams

In summary, the speaker is studying excitability in quantum dot lasers and is struggling to understand the concept of bifurcations in 2D parametric diagrams. They are seeking recommendations for resources to better understand these notions. The suggested book is Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Steven H. Strogatz.
Ulver48
Hello my friends,

I am studying excitability in quantum dot lasers and I see a lot of bifurcation diagrams with saddle node bifurcations, Hopf bifurcations, homoclinic bifurcations, PD bifurcations etc. I know some basic things about non-linear systems but I have never met the notion of bifurcations before, so I struggle a little bit here with the 2D parametric diagrams that I have to understand. Could you recommend a book or some sources that could help me understand these notions ?

Thank you in advance

Likes The Bill
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Steven H. Strogatz's book Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos quite a bit as a first introduction to the mathematics and practical intuition. It's a generally good textbook, too. Either edition should be fine for you.

Likes Ulver48

1. What are Bifurcation Diagrams?

Bifurcation diagrams are graphical representations of how the behavior of a dynamical system changes as a parameter is varied. They are commonly used in mathematics and physics to study the stability and complexity of systems.

2. Why are Bifurcation Diagrams important?

Bifurcation diagrams allow scientists to visualize and analyze the behavior of complex systems. They can reveal important information about the stability and behavior of a system, and can help predict how a system will evolve over time.

3. How are Bifurcation Diagrams created?

Bifurcation diagrams are created by plotting the values of a system's variables against a varying parameter. This can be done manually or with the help of computer software.

4. What types of systems can be studied using Bifurcation Diagrams?

Bifurcation diagrams can be used to study a wide range of systems, from simple mathematical equations to complex physical systems. They are commonly used in fields such as chaos theory, population dynamics, and fluid mechanics.

5. Can Bifurcation Diagrams be used for practical applications?

Yes, Bifurcation diagrams have practical applications in many fields, including engineering, economics, and biology. They can help identify critical points and behaviors in a system, which can inform decision-making and problem-solving processes.