1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Books on Renormalization (Group) Theory

1. Dec 5, 2015 #1
    Hello Everybody,

I am searching for a book that introduces the theory of renormalization other then Peskin Schroeder, I found Peskin Schroeder cumbersome regarding this topic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2
    I recently bought 'renormalization methods - a guide for beginners' by W.D. McComb, mainly because it also uses RNG on topics other than quantum mechanics (e.g. fluid dynamics).

It starts with this in the preface:
    "... the questions that I am most frequently asked are:
    'Is there an easy account on the subject?' and
    'is there some application to a simple toy model which I could study?'
    <...>
    The aim of the present book, therefore, is to make the basic ideas of the subject available to a wider audience.
    <...>
    the first section, which comprises chapters 1-3, is intended to be complete in itself..."

I'm not into quantum mechanics, so for me I think it was a good choice. Still, there are many topics in the book that I know nothing about, like models for magnets and ir and uv divergences, but the first section tries to treat it (edit:renormalization) in a general manner.

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3
    Sounds intersting, I'll check the book!

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

How about

J. C. Collins. Renormalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne, 1986.

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5
    Mandl and Shaw is very good as an introduction to Renormalization theory for particle theorists. I checked McCombs books, it didn't help me much as it is too general, but may be helpful for later usage. I'll check Collins in the coming days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted