Books on Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses a topic called Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy, which the speaker is interested in learning more about. They mention encountering some research thesis on the topic and express their desire for in-depth knowledge. The speaker also mentions that there are no books available on this topic and provides some links to articles and resources for further reading.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am curious about Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy and want to get a bit of in-depth knowledge on this topic.

I've always been very interested in spectroscopy, much like my passion in quantum mechanics, though I don't get a lot of time after daily routine to study either.

Recently I encountered some research thesis on Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy, due to which I want to know more on this topic.

The book(s) should have the basics, and can go as high up as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
The name itself is enough indication that no books on this topic exists.

Buffu said:
The name itself is enough indication that no books on this topic exists.
Why? :oldconfused:

1. What is Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy?

Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy is a technique used in physics and chemistry to study the dynamics of molecules and materials on a very short timescale, typically in the femtosecond (10^-15 seconds) range. It involves using a series of laser pulses to probe the excited state of a sample and measure the changes in its spectral response.

2. What is the significance of studying ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy?

Studying ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy allows scientists to understand the fundamental processes that govern the behavior of molecules and materials. It can provide insights into chemical reactions, phase transitions, and other important phenomena that occur on a very short timescale, which is not possible with traditional spectroscopic methods.

3. What are some applications of ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy?

Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can be used to study photochemical reactions, energy transfer processes, and structural dynamics in complex molecules and materials. It is also used in the development of new materials for optoelectronic devices and in the study of biological systems.

4. What are the main techniques used in ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy?

The main techniques used in ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy include transient absorption, two-dimensional electronic spectroscopy, and pump-probe spectroscopy. These techniques involve using different combinations of laser pulses to probe the sample and measure its response in different dimensions.

5. How is ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy different from traditional spectroscopic methods?

Ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy is different from traditional spectroscopic methods in that it can capture the dynamics of a sample on a much faster timescale. Traditional methods typically operate on a timescale of nanoseconds (10^-9 seconds), while ultrafast multi-dimensional coherent spectroscopy can measure processes that occur on the femtosecond timescale. This allows for a more detailed understanding of the dynamics of molecules and materials.