Physics for a multi dimensional person

• Physics
  • Thread starter adiphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that physics is only for "one-sided" individuals who are solely dedicated to the subject. The speaker, a "multi-dimensional" person with diverse interests and talents, is interested in pursuing research in physics but is concerned about having to give up their other interests. However, the conversation concludes that having a well-rounded background and balancing various interests can actually be beneficial in the field of physics. It is possible to combine different skills and interests to create a unique and successful path in the field.
adiphysics
Physics for a "multi dimensional" person

Most people have given me the advice that physics is for the kind of "devoted and dedicated" people who give it their everything. You need to focus solely on it, be (a lot)patient and not loose your interest in the way.

I am ,what I would like to call, a "multi-dimensional" person with many interests and talents. I love physics and want to pursue research in it. I think analytically and logically well and so I also love programming and find it easy.The creative aspect of engineering also gets me excited. I am very creative and innovative; those are my most important traits.

Besides these, I play guitar and synthesizer, follow sports and play football(soccer),write some articles,read a lot,sing a bit etc. I won't like to drop all of these things though I can drop most but not fully.

All these interests are a result of the well rounded schooling which has cultivated in me so many things that it is hard for me to chose now.I take part in most activities now and find it hard to imagine life sticking to one thing all the time.I am prepared to put most of my time, but not my all.
Is physics for a guy like me? Or you have to be a one sided person, like all the great physicists, to be successful?

Thank you for reading the whole post.

Physics news on Phys.org

adiphysics said:
Or you have to be a one sided person, like all the great physicists, to be successful?

I don't know where you got the idea that physicists need to be one sided. For example, this guy was certainly a multidimensional person as well as a world-class physicist.

That said, really becoming a physicist requires a Ph.D., and that requires specialization and focus. So as you continue your studies, you will find yourself learning more and more about less and less. That might not appeal to you.

Last edited:

I have heard Richard Feynman saying this: "I am a one sided person,I have limited intelligence and I direct it in a particular way...I read a bit,go to the cinemas...but basically I am a one sided person".
How he kept focus is really a mystery to me.

adiphysics said:
Most people have given me the advice that physics is for the kind of "devoted and dedicated" people who give it their everything. You need to focus solely on it, be (a lot)patient and not loose your interest in the way.

I'm curious *who* has given you this advice, because it seems all wrong. What happens is that if you focus only on the "grunt work" you forget that it was Star Trek and Doctor Who that got you interested in physics.

Is physics for a guy like me?

Don't know. Try it out and see what you think about it.

Or you have to be a one sided person, like all the great physicists, to be successful?

All of the great physicists that I've known personally have had very strong interests outside of physics. One of my mentors is a published science fiction novelist, for example. People that are single mindedly obsessed tend to burn out.

I mean, I got into astrophysics because I wanted to understand the universe. Guitars are part of the universe aren't they?

I'm very curious who is telling you these sorts of things.

Likes 1 person

TMFKAN64 said:
That said, really becoming a physicist requires a Ph.D., and that requires specialization and focus. So as you continue your studies, you will find yourself learning more and more about less and less. That might not appeal to you.

On the other hand you can focus on something that mixes skills. Take three things at random. Mayonaise. French literature. Black holes. I'm sure that you can mix those to put together a Ph.D. dissertation in something.

1. What is multi-dimensional physics?

Multi-dimensional physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of objects in more than three spatial dimensions. It explores the possibility of additional spatial dimensions beyond the three that we experience in our everyday lives.

2. How does multi-dimensional physics differ from traditional physics?

Traditional physics focuses on the three dimensions of length, width, and height. Multi-dimensional physics expands upon this by considering additional dimensions that may exist beyond these three. It also explores the implications of these extra dimensions on our understanding of fundamental forces and particles.

3. What are some current theories about multi-dimensional physics?

Some current theories suggest that there may be up to 11 dimensions in our universe, with the extra dimensions being "curled up" or compactified at a microscopic level. Other theories propose the existence of parallel universes or branes (membranes) in multi-dimensional space.

4. How can we observe or test multi-dimensional physics?

At this time, we do not have the technology or means to directly observe or test multi-dimensional physics. However, scientists are exploring indirect ways to test these theories, such as through particle accelerator experiments and observations of gravitational waves.

5. What are the potential implications of multi-dimensional physics?

If multi-dimensional physics is proven to be true, it would greatly expand our understanding of the universe and potentially revolutionize our current theories of physics. It could also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and understanding of the nature of dark matter and dark energy.