Books that mix modern physics with algebra and geometry

In summary, the speaker is an advanced undergraduate physics student looking for books on the topic of "Algebra and geometry in modern physics" for a career project. They specifically mention wanting mathematical books that cover physics symmetry, such as the theory of groups applied to symmetry, algebra properties of the Poincaré group, and gauge transformations. They also mention that any related material would be helpful and suggest some resources, including "Quantum Theory of Fields" by Weinberg, lecture notes on QFT, and "Geometry, Topology, and Physics" by Nakahara.
Laique94
Hi
I'm an advanced undergraduate physics student and I'm currently searching books for my career project.
The topic I selected is titled: Algebra and geometry in modern physics.
So I'm currently looking for books that cover modern aspects of physics in a more mathematical approx.
In specific I'm looking for some mathematical books that discuss physics symmetry (theory of groups applied to symmetry, algebra properties of the Poincaré group or gauge transformations, and so on)
Everything that can be related is helpful.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are some examples of books that mix modern physics with algebra and geometry?

Some examples include "Quantum Mechanics and Geometry" by Mario Paschke, "The Geometric Universe: Science, Geometry, and the Work of Roger Penrose" by S.A. Huggett and L.J. Mason, and "Geometry, Particles, and Fields" by Bjorn Felsager.

2. How does algebra and geometry play a role in understanding modern physics?

Algebra and geometry are essential tools for understanding and solving complex equations and problems in modern physics. They provide a way to represent and visualize abstract concepts and relationships, making them crucial for tackling advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.

3. Are these books appropriate for beginners in physics?

It depends on the book and the level of mathematical background the reader has. Some books may be more suitable for beginners, while others may assume a certain level of knowledge in both physics and mathematics. It is important to carefully research and choose a book that matches your current understanding and interests.

4. Can these books be used as textbooks for a physics course?

Some of these books may be suitable as textbooks for a physics course, but it ultimately depends on the specific course and the instructor's preferences. They may serve as supplementary material or as the main textbook, depending on the level and focus of the course.

5. Are these books only applicable to theoretical physics or can they also be applied to practical applications?

These books can be applied to both theoretical and practical applications. The concepts and techniques discussed in these books are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, computer science, and materials science, making them useful for both theoretical and applied research.