Project ideas for modern physics class

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for ideas for a project for their modern physics class. The course covers various topics such as thermodynamics, relativity, atomic physics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics. The student is interested in finding a project that involves programming and electronics. However, the speaker advises that individual projects can be time-consuming and suggests choosing a topic that is related to other courses the student is interested in.
Stevo6754
Greetings,

First of all I believe this is the right forum as it isn't necessarily homework but more of a discussion about possible projects/experiments for a modern physics class. If it is in the incorrect forum could a mod please move it.

I am currently taking a physics 3 course that offers students the option of doing a project that is course related for 5% of your overall grade. A chronological list of topics covered in the course can be seen below.

- Temperature, ideal gas equation, heat, first law of thermodynamics

- Kinetic theory of gases, entropy, second law of thermodynamics

- Einstein's postulates, Lorentz transformation

- Time dilation and length contraction, doppler effect, relativistic momentum and energy, mass energy conversion

- General relativity, quantization of electric charge, blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect
- x-rays and compton effect

- Atomic spectra, Rutherford's nuclear model, Bohr model of hydrogen atom, x-ray spectra, Franck-Hertz experiment

- de Broglie, particle wavelengths and wave packets, wave function, uncertainty principle, wave-particle duality

- Schrodinger equation in one dimension, square wells harmonic oscillator

- Reflection and transmission of waves

- Schrodinger equation in three dimensions, hydrogen atom quantization of angular momentum and energy, electron spin

- spin-orbit effect, two particle system, classical and quantum statistics, Bose-Einstein condensation

- chemical bonding, ionic, covalent, spectra of diatomic molecules, scattering, absorption, stimulated emission

- structure of solids, classical theory of conduction

- free electron gas, quantum theory of conduction, semiconductors, super conductors

Having read up to general relativity thus far and scanning through the other content to be covered in the book I am unable to think of a good idea for a project. A good bit of the experiments seem to require radiation.. I was hoping to find a project where I could use my programming skills and knowledge of electronics. I'm familiar with c, MATLAB and java.

If you guys have any ideas of anything in particular I should look into please let me know.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt anyone will answer in part because only u know what interests u. For example we don't even know what your are studying...could be physics, electrical engineering, or philosophy.

Individual projects will usually consume time way out of proportion with the credit you get.
Of course you'll learn the most that way too. And you'll never forget it.

Maybe consider a subject that gives you some insight into other courses you like or would like to take.

1. What are some good project ideas for a modern physics class?

Some good project ideas for a modern physics class could include investigating the concept of time dilation using special relativity, exploring the properties and applications of quantum entanglement, building a working model of a particle accelerator, studying the physics behind renewable energy sources, or researching the potential of teleportation through quantum teleportation experiments.

2. How can I come up with an original project idea for my modern physics class?

To come up with an original project idea for your modern physics class, you could start by thinking about current topics and developments in the field of physics. You could also consider your own interests and passions and how they could be applied to modern physics concepts. Brainstorming with classmates or discussing ideas with your teacher can also help generate unique project ideas.

3. Are there any project ideas that involve both classical and modern physics?

Yes, there are many project ideas that incorporate both classical and modern physics concepts. For example, you could investigate the physics of sound and how it relates to the properties of waves in classical mechanics, and then explore the quantum mechanics behind the phenomenon of sound waves in a vacuum. Another idea could be to build a Rube Goldberg machine that demonstrates both classical and quantum physics principles.

4. Are there any project ideas that involve real-world applications of modern physics?

Yes, there are plenty of project ideas that involve real-world applications of modern physics. For instance, you could design and build a solar-powered car to demonstrate the principles of solar energy conversion, or you could investigate the physics behind the functioning of MRI machines and how they are used in medical imaging. Another idea could be to research and present on the applications of quantum computing in solving complex problems.

5. Can I collaborate with others on a project for my modern physics class?

Collaboration with others on a project for your modern physics class can be a great opportunity to learn from and work with your peers. You can either choose to work in a team with classmates or collaborate with individuals outside of your class, such as scientists or researchers in the field of modern physics. Just make sure to communicate clearly and divide tasks and responsibilities fairly to ensure a successful project.