Decent books for high school algebra and geometry

In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student's interest in studying physics in college and their desire to strengthen their understanding of algebra and geometry. They were recommended various books, including Algebra by I.M. Gelfand, Geometry: A High School Course by Serge Lang, and Mathematics for the Nonmathematician by Morris Kline. Other options such as Art of Problem Solving series, books by Sharipov, and classic works like Euclid's Elements and Euler's Elements of Algebra were also suggested. The conversation came to a close with the student expressing their intention to study these books and improve their understanding of math.
Nevers
I'm still in high school and looking at majoring in physics in college. I have taken math up to single variable calculus, but I want to go back and relearn algebra and geometry to get a much better understanding of those subjects. I'm considering using the books Algebra by I.M Gelfand and Geometry: A High School Course by Serge Lang. From what I've seen, these books are more focused on actual problems versus just exercises and focus more on proofs than just plugging in numbers. Can anybody else who's read these books give a second opinion or recommend any other good books at the high school level?

Physics news on Phys.org
A great high school book is Mathematics for the Nonmathematician, by Morris Kline. Don't be fooled by the title - this is the real deal. Everything you need to know is in there.

Other options: Algebra: Structure and Method, Vol. I and II, by Brown, Dolciani, et. al.

Geometry, by Jurgensen, Brown, et. al.

Both of these are Houghton-Mifflin, and have very little fluff in them.

For geometry, if you want a real challenge, work your way through The Bones, which is essentially Euclid's Elements minus all the proofs.

Thanks, I'll definitely look at those books. I started with Gelfand and Lang, and I like what I've seen. I'll probably take a look at The Elements too. Even if it is a little dated, I'm sure I can learn much from it.

I would suggest any of the followings:

-Art of Problem Solving series (prealgebra up through calculus). Awesome curriculum.
-The books by Gelfand ... I highly recommend.
-Geometry by Lang and Murrow
-Geometry (books 1 and 2) by Kiselev ... I highly recommend.
-Geometry by Jacobs (1st Ed)
-Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang
-Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley ... this would be a good review plus lots of new/theoretical stuff
-The SMSG books from the "new math" period. You can find these online in pdf.
-Sharipov has some great (free) books ... I highly recommend them.

If you want some more advanced stuff:

-Geometry Revisited by Coxeter
-Geometric Transformations series by Yaglom
-Introduction to Inequalities by Bellman
-Calculus by Spivak or Apostol
-Get going with some linear algebra (Strang, Apostol, or Sharipov)

Likes 1 person
I've heard of all of these except for Sharipov. I'll take a look at that, especially since it's free. I've got Kiselev, and more of Gelfand and Lang, so I'll definitely go through those after I finish the books I'm reading now. I guess I better get to studying.

In recent years, I have enjoyed reading parts of Euclid's Elements, in the Green Lion edition, and Euler's Elements of Algebra. I have heard good things about Gelfand, but have not seen it. Kiselev is a Russian classic.

I remember looking at Euler's book a couple of years ago. It has very interesting results in it that I didn't see anywhere else. I'll read it again after I have a stronger base in algebra. Gelfand's Algebra seems better suited for a second run through of the course. It's pretty skimpy on exposition, but most of the material is contained in the problems, some of which are pretty difficult. It's helped me see the general principle behind many concepts and develop a coherence between them, which is something I couldn't get with my standard textbooks. Other interesting books, both from the early 1900s, are Elementary Algebra and Higher Algebra both by Hall and Knight. (Both are free)

What are some recommended books for high school algebra and geometry?

Some popular books for high school algebra and geometry include "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan, "Geometry: A High School Course" by S. Lang and G. Murrow, and "Algebra and Geometry" by Alan G. Foster.

Are there any books specifically designed for struggling students in algebra and geometry?

Yes, there are books such as "Algebra and Geometry for Struggling Students" by Timothy J. McNamara and "Mastering Essential Math Skills: 20 Minutes a Day to Success, Book 1: Grades 6-8" by Richard W. Fisher that are specifically designed to help struggling students in algebra and geometry.

Do these books cover both algebra and geometry, or are they separate?

Most books for high school algebra and geometry cover both subjects, but there are also books that focus on just one subject. It is important to carefully read the book description or table of contents to make sure the book covers the topics you need.

Are there any online resources or practice problems that accompany these books?

Many of these books have companion websites or online resources with additional practice problems, quizzes, and other helpful materials. Some books also come with access to online tutoring or video lessons. Again, it is important to check the book description or contact the publisher for more information.

Can these books be used for self-study or do they require a teacher?

These books can be used for self-study, but having a teacher or tutor to guide you through the material can be very helpful. Some books may also come with a solutions manual or answer key for self-checking your work. It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and needs.