Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books to learn about computers?

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    Hello,

My summer has just begun and I am looking forward to being able to learn things that interest me which I will not be able to learn about in school for a while. One of these topics is computing. I know that this is a very complicated matter, but I am interested in learning the principles of how computers work. I have no prior knowledge, so I would like to learn from something written at the introductory level, yet I will embrace anything that explores complex ideas.

So, to clarify: I am looking for a book (or a few books) to build and solidify an understanding of how computers (and even calculators or printers) work.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2013 #2
    I have received one recommendation for "Introduction to Computing Systems: from Bits and Gates to C+ and Beyond". If you have read this, I would greatly appreciate your opinion on it before I purchase it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook