Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Botany: what is the evolutionary significance of losing a cotyledon?

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    Hey there,

I was reading up on angiosperms, and one of the possible evolutionary relationships that showed up were ancestors that originally had 2 cotyledons, and the lost of one later on rose to the arisal of monocots.

I suppose this might be a really tough question, but what would be the benefit for a plant to start with having one cotyledon as opposed to two?

Or maybe it'd be better to ask: what kind of environment would be better for a germinating seedling that has only one cotyledon?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's interesting, I had not heard of that relationship before. I am curious where did you read that?
    Can't say I know of any benefits of having one seed leave over two.
    Modern monocots and dicots do have very distinctive characteristics: monocot(e.g. major leaf veins parallel, flower parts in multiples of three, stem-vascular-bundles scattered, pollen with a single pore...) dicot [e.g. major leaf veins reticulated (netted), flower parts in multiples of four or five, stem-vascular-bundles in a ring, pollen with 3 pores]. Those are just a few morphological differences (reference). Scientists believe the monocot-dicot divergence from a common ancestor, occured about 200 MYA (million years ago). That would be sufficient time to evolved all those differences we see today.
    I don't know what environments would be more advantangeous to monocots. Both mono and dicots prefer warm, loose friable topsoil to enhance germination.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?