1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Botany: what is the evolutionary significance of losing a cotyledon?

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    Hey there,

I was reading up on angiosperms, and one of the possible evolutionary relationships that showed up were ancestors that originally had 2 cotyledons, and the lost of one later on rose to the arisal of monocots.

I suppose this might be a really tough question, but what would be the benefit for a plant to start with having one cotyledon as opposed to two?

Or maybe it'd be better to ask: what kind of environment would be better for a germinating seedling that has only one cotyledon?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's interesting, I had not heard of that relationship before. I am curious where did you read that?
    Can't say I know of any benefits of having one seed leave over two.
    Modern monocots and dicots do have very distinctive characteristics: monocot(e.g. major leaf veins parallel, flower parts in multiples of three, stem-vascular-bundles scattered, pollen with a single pore...) dicot [e.g. major leaf veins reticulated (netted), flower parts in multiples of four or five, stem-vascular-bundles in a ring, pollen with 3 pores]. Those are just a few morphological differences (reference). Scientists believe the monocot-dicot divergence from a common ancestor, occured about 200 MYA (million years ago). That would be sufficient time to evolved all those differences we see today.
    I don't know what environments would be more advantangeous to monocots. Both mono and dicots prefer warm, loose friable topsoil to enhance germination.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?