Botany: what is the evolutionary significance of losing a cotyledon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Arctangent
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hey there,

I was reading up on angiosperms, and one of the possible evolutionary relationships that showed up were ancestors that originally had 2 cotyledons, and the lost of one later on rose to the arisal of monocots.

I suppose this might be a really tough question, but what would be the benefit for a plant to start with having one cotyledon as opposed to two?

Or maybe it'd be better to ask: what kind of environment would be better for a germinating seedling that has only one cotyledon?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Arctangent said:
I was reading up on angiosperms, and one of the possible evolutionary relationships that showed up were ancestors that originally had 2 cotyledons, and the lost of one later on rose to the arisal of monocots.
That's interesting, I had not heard of that relationship before. I am curious where did you read that?
what would be the benefit for a plant to start with having one cotyledon as opposed to two?
Can't say I know of any benefits of having one seed leave over two.
Modern monocots and dicots do have very distinctive characteristics: monocot(e.g. major leaf veins parallel, flower parts in multiples of three, stem-vascular-bundles scattered, pollen with a single pore...) dicot [e.g. major leaf veins reticulated (netted), flower parts in multiples of four or five, stem-vascular-bundles in a ring, pollen with 3 pores]. Those are just a few morphological differences (reference). Scientists believe the monocot-dicot divergence from a common ancestor, occurred about 200 MYA (million years ago). That would be sufficient time to evolved all those differences we see today.
what kind of environment would be better for a germinating seedling that has only one cotyledon?
I don't know what environments would be more advantangeous to monocots. Both mono and dicots prefer warm, loose friable topsoil to enhance germination.
 
Last edited: