1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bound state for a Dirac delta function potential

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the bound state energy for a particle in a Dirac delta function potential.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } } - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \ \pd{\psi}{x}{2} - \alpha \delta (x) \psi (x) = E\psi (x)[/tex]
    where [tex]\alpha[/tex] > 0 is the strength of the delta function potential.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is solved in Griffith's QM book and other places but I'm having an issue with the energy that is given there. The wave function is:
    [tex]\psi(x)=\frac{\sqrt{m\alpha}}{\hbar}e^{-m \alpha |x|\hbar^{2}}[/tex]

Now if we plug this into the Schoedinger question above, times everything by [tex]\psi^{*}[/tex], and integrate over all x, we should get the bound energy.

The kinetic energy energy term gives [tex]\frac{-m\alpha^{2}}{2\hbar^{2}}[/tex] which is the listed as the total energy in Griffith's, but what about the term from the potential energy? Integrating over that will give a contribution of [tex]\frac{-m\alpha^{2}}{\hbar^{2}} [/tex] so that the total energy is [tex]E=\frac{-m\alpha^{2}}{2\hbar^{2}}\frac{-m\alpha^{2}}{\hbar^{2}}=\frac{-3m\alpha^{2}}{2\hbar^{2}}[/tex].

Any ideas why the potential energy is never included in the energy people list? It is listed as being the total energy in Griffith's QM book for instance. Am I correct in my evaluation of the potential energy? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2
    Nevermind, I think I realized my problem. I was just excluding the origin in my integration of the kinetic energy. It contributes a [tex]\frac{-m \alpha}{\hbar^{2}}[/tex] which cancels out the potential term (of course).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?