Bounds for the index of a radical

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter FranzDiCoccio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bounds Index Radical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
FranzDiCoccio
Messages
350
Reaction score
43
Hi,
I know that, at least formally, the index of a radical should be positive and integer. That is if I introduce
[tex]\sqrt[x]{2}[/tex]
I need to assume [itex]x\in \mathbb N[/itex] and [itex]x>0[/itex].

However, my calculator has no problem in calculating the radical for any [itex]x\neq 0[/itex], say [itex]x=-\pi[/itex].
The result it gives is based on the assumption
[tex]\sqrt[x]{2} = 2^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
and on the fact that the exponent of the exponential function can be any number. Therefore
[tex]\sqrt[-\pi]{2} = 2^{-\frac{1}{\pi}}\approx 0.802[/tex]

It seems to me that the above "assumption" that a radical can be replaced by an exponential holds true in any case, provided that the radicand is positive.

I wonder whether I'm overlooking some strange case where the above assumption fails.
I do not see any, so I guess that the bounds [itex]x\in \mathbb N[/itex] and [itex]x>0[/itex]. are just formal.
I think that the idea is that it is not really worth bothering with weird indexes in radicals.
Those really interested in [itex]\sqrt[x]{2}[/itex] for any [itex]x[/itex], should just stop using radicals and work with exponentials only.

Is that it, or is there more to it?
Thanks a lot for your input
Franz
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is all true for the real numbers. But both notations: ##\sqrt[p]{r}## and ##r^{\frac{1}{p}}## only point towards one real solution of ##x^p=r\; , \;p\in \mathbb{N}## and neglect all other (i.g. complex) solutions, resp. ##p\cdot \log(x)=\log(r)\; , \;p\in \mathbb{R}##. However, one does not write ##\sqrt[-p]{r}## for ##r^{-\frac{1}{p}}##. In this case it is common and less confusing to choose ## \sqrt[p]{\frac{1}{r}}## or ##(\frac{1}{r})^{\frac{1}{p}}##.

Notation is always a convention. It's purpose is to communicate the same content.
 
FranzDiCoccio said:
Hi,
I know that, at least formally, the index of a radical should be positive and integer. That is if I introduce
[tex]\sqrt[x]{2}[/tex]
I need to assume [itex]x\in \mathbb N[/itex] and [itex]x>0[/itex].
All of the radical expressions I've ever seen have an index that is a positive integer greater than 1, such as ##\sqrt 2## (index of 2 is implied), or ##\sqrt[3] 8##, and so on.
Of course, you can convert a radical expression to one in exponental form, and then there aren't the same restrictions on what the exponent can be.
So while I've never seen something like this: ##\sqrt[\pi] x##, there's no reason you can't write it as ##x^{1/\pi}##.
 
fresh_42 said:
This is all true for the real numbers. But both notations: ##\sqrt[p]{r}## and ##r^{\frac{1}{p}}## only point towards one real solution of ##x^p=r\; , \;p\in \mathbb{N}## and neglect all other (i.g. complex) solutions, resp. ##p\cdot \log(x)=\log(r)\; , \;p\in \mathbb{R}##.

Ok... right... My "bound" [itex]r\geq0[/itex] implicitly limits all this to real solutions. What you're saying is that [itex]p\in \mathbb{N}[/itex] allows for [itex]p-1[/itex] further complex solutions (if you allow them).

However, one does not write ##\sqrt[-p]{r}## for ##r^{-\frac{1}{p}}##. In this case it is common and less confusing to choose ## \sqrt[p]{\frac{1}{r}}## or ##(\frac{1}{r})^{\frac{1}{p}}##.

Notation is always a convention. It's purpose is to communicate the same content.

Ok, so you sort of agree with me. It's just a matter of notational conventions. Using non positive-integer indexes for radicals is in principle allowed, but it is uselessly complicated, so it is basically never used.
The usual bonds are given in order to avoid a uselessly complicated notation, which might cause unneeded confusion and undue awe.

I remember that as a student I used to feel a little uneasy when I looked at math exercises containing radicals, no matter how simple.
When I realized that a radical is basically just another way of writing a power (or an exponential), I felt much less "threatened".
I think that this is because a "square root" is sort of universally recognized as "mathematically difficult stuff" by the layman.I sometimes think that radicals should be dropped altogether, and replaced by powers... on the other hand, [itex]\sqrt[n]{x}[/itex] with odd [itex]n[/itex] is defined for [itex]x\in \mathbb{R}[/itex], whereas [itex]x^{1/n}[/itex] only for [itex]x\geq 0[/itex].

Sorry, I'm always referring to real numbers because that is what is mostly taught in Italian high-school. Complex numbers are taught as well, but not very in depth.
 
Mark44 said:
All of the radical expressions I've ever seen have an index that is a positive integer greater than 1, such as ##\sqrt 2## (index of 2 is implied), or ##\sqrt[3] 8##, and so on.
Of course, you can convert a radical expression to one in exponental form, and then there aren't the same restrictions on what the exponent can be.
So while I've never seen something like this: ##\sqrt[\pi] x##, there's no reason you can't write it as ##x^{1/\pi}##.

Yes, I agree with what you say. My question was basically inspired by the ##\sqrt[y]{x}## key in a pocket calculator. The calculator won't complain if ##y\not\in \mathbb{N}##, provided that ##x\geq 0##.
 
FranzDiCoccio said:
I sometimes think that radicals should be dropped altogether, and replaced by powers... on the other hand, ##\sqrt[n]{x}## with odd ##n## is defined for ##x\in \mathbb{R}##, whereas ##x^{1/n}## only for ##x\geq 0##.
No. They both mean the same and whether they are defined for ##x\in \mathbb{R}## or for ##x\geq 0## only depends on the context, i.e. real or complex. You are right in so far, as the root notation should be avoided, and is. As @Mark44 has said, it is normally only used in case of square or cubic roots. But even these are often written as powers. If your calculator has two buttons: ##\sqrt[y]{x}## and ##x^y## then it is a redundancy. The latter will do, esp. as there is probably also the button ##1/x## available.
 
fresh_42 said:
No. They both mean the same and whether they are defined for ##x\in \mathbb{R}## or for ##x\geq 0## only depends on the context, i.e. real or complex.

Sorry, that is what I meant to say with my last remark. In high school, context is usually ##\mathbb{R}##, which introduces the constraint ##x\geq 0## (otherwise you might end up proving that ## 2=-2 ##).

You are right in so far, as the root notation should be avoided, and is. As @Mark44 has said, it is normally only used in case of square or cubic roots. But even these are often written as powers. If your calculator has two buttons: ##\sqrt[y]{x}## and ##x^y## then it is a redundancy. The latter will do, esp. as there is probably also the button ##1/x## available.

I completely agree. If one needs to choose, ##\sqrt[y]{x}## should go. It is precisely this redundancy that caused my question.
Thanks a lot for your help!
 
If you think that is weird, take a look at the complex version: [itex]y=z^{\alpha}[/itex], where both z and α are complex. You start out by observing that obviously [itex]\log(y)=\alpha\cdot \log(z)[/itex] which looks correct as long as z stays away from 0. But - not so fast - [itex]\log(z)[/itex] has an infinite amount of values differing by some integer multiply of 2πi: [itex]\log(z)=\log(z_{0})+n\cdot 2\pi i[/itex], so [itex]\log(y)=\alpha\log(z_{0})+\alpha \cdot n\cdot 2\pi i[/itex]. Taking the exponential on both sides gives [itex]y=e^{(\alpha\log(z_{0})+\alpha \cdot n\cdot 2\pi i)}=e^{\alpha\log(z_{0})}\cdot e^{\alpha \cdot n\cdot 2\pi i}[/itex]. The first factor is trivial, but the second factor can have a finite amount of values (if α is rational) or an infinite amount of values.