Boy Sliding Down Frictionless Ice: Conservation of Energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter slayer16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
slayer16
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A boy is seated on the top of a hemispherical mound of ice. He is given a very small push and starts sliding down the ice. Show that he leaves the ice at a point whose height is 2R/3 if the ice is frictionless. (Hint:The normal force vanishes as he leaves the ice.)

Homework Equations


Conservation of energy.

The Attempt at a Solution


I wrote the normal force as function of theta. I then set the normal force equal to the centripetal force so I could get rid of the unknown velocity, but it didn't work out. I do not see any other way to solve this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
first you should solve for velocity by equating the normal and centripetal force then solve sin theta using the normal vanishes at the point where it leaves the surface and then put it all together in the energy conservation law mgh + (mv^2)/2= mvR then solve for h!