Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain Damage -- does it also affect their emotional state?

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    For people who hit their head and suffer loss of mathematical and linguistic ability, does it also affect their emotional state? I met a woman who hit her head on table while falling down when she was 14 years old. Now she is 30+ years old. She said after the fall she can no longer comprehend her school subjects and stopped studying. I'm not sure if her emotional being also suffers. She look a bit childish. Does it usually in your experience or based on what you read? Just curious about it all.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you will gain more insight by narrowing your question: try to describe more exactly what you are trying to talk about.
    Answering the question as you have written it:
    1. any injury affects your emotional state ... if I hit my thumb with a hammer, my emotional state changes.
    2. any injury leading to permanent disability will have a long term emotional impact - if I cut my thumb off, each time I see the stump I get an emotional reaction. If I lost my legs in an accident you betcha I am emotionally different from before the accident.
    3. childhood trauma can have a lasting psychological effect including emotional responses.

Basically, everything that happens to you changes your emotional state ... what the change is, will be a matter of degree, and depend on lots of other things as well. So the simple answer is "yes". Thing is, I suspect that is not what you are talking about.
    So what can you be talking about?

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3

I was talking about brain damage in childhood that leads to learning disabilities.. these people after falls could no longer learn algebra or other subjects and drop out of school. I was asking how much is the emotional damage to the brain part of these victims.

5. Sep 21, 2016 #4
    I meant if the same falls that damage the linguistic and math processing part of the brain could also damage the emotional processing of the brain... I wasn't talking about normal emotional reactions to the trauma but the brain emotional processing physiology itself.

6. Sep 21, 2016 #5

BillTre

Science Advisor

Different random head injuries can have vastly different effects on the brain.
    The smaller the injury to the brain, the greater the likelihood that only one kind of brain function will be effected.
    Bigger injuries will more likely remove a variety of different effects, such as cognitive and emotional.
    Some areas make effect both. Its all really complicated.
    I would get brain scans and talk with brain doctors because you need to know the details to answer these kind of questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted