Braindead - Simple Physics Help

• Thread starter megaforcetkd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the average speed of a car traveling from point A to B and then back to A is given by the function V(x) = (2x)/((x)/(80 km/h) + (x)/(60 km/h)), where x is the distance from point A to B. The total time for the trip is given by T = ((x)/(80 km/h)) + ((x)/(60 km/h)), and the total distance is 2x.
megaforcetkd

Homework Statement

A car averages 80 km/h traveling from A to B, and then on the return trip the car averages 60 km/h from B to A. Write the average speed of the car, V, as a function of x, where x is the distance from A to B.

Homework Equations

Not sure what to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vavg = [80 km/h(x) + 60 km(x)]/2

Obviously it's wrong =/

Physics news on Phys.org
you must understand that the average speed in this context means the total distance divided by the time taken to cover that distance.
the average speed here doesn't mean the arithmetic mean that we usually learn in mathematics.

The question doesn't provide the time though, and the function needs to be written as a function of the distance.

speed = distance/time
you know the average speed for the go and return journeys and the distance is the same. so you can express the TOTAL time to cover both the journeys in term of the distance x.

Last edited:
speed= distance/time=> time= distance/speed

Of course, the total distance is 2x.

I have to express it as V(x) though so I have to express Speed in terms of distance. This is for Pre-Calc, btw. I did all the mechanics things in AP Physics but this is unrelated, right? I've been trying for a while but I still can't get it =/..

I know I can express it in terms of time as T = ((x)/(80kph)) + ((x)/60kph))..

megaforcetkd said:
I have to express it as V(x) though so I have to express Speed in terms of distance. This is for Pre-Calc, btw. I did all the mechanics things in AP Physics but this is unrelated, right? I've been trying for a while but I still can't get it =/..

I know I can express it in terms of time as T = ((x)/(80kph)) + ((x)/60kph))..

That's right. That's the total time for the trip. What's the total distance in terms of x?

2x = ((x)/(80kph)) + ((x)/60kph))(speed).. what do i put for speed?

megaforcetkd said:
2x = ((x)/(80kph)) + ((x)/60kph))(speed).. what do i put for speed?

Solve this expression for speed.

OH so...

Vavg = (2x)/((x)/(80kph)) + ((x)/60kph)).

megaforcetkd said:
OH so...

Vavg = (2x)/((x)/(80kph)) + ((x)/60kph)).

Yup. That's right. You can simplify.

AHHHH! Ok thanks :D. I guess I just wasn't thinking =/ We did this first day of AP Physics.

megaforcetkd said:
AHHHH! Ok thanks :D. I guess I just wasn't thinking =/ We did this first day of AP Physics.

:smile: What did you get as the final answer?

68.57 km/h

megaforcetkd said:
68.57 km/h

Yup, that's the answer! Excellent!

YAY! Thanks for the help. Haha you can expect a lot of me though once we start getting into complicated stuff in AP Physics QQ.

1. What is simple physics?

Simple physics is the study of basic principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in our everyday lives. It includes topics such as motion, forces, energy, and properties of matter.

2. How does simple physics relate to brain function?

Simple physics plays a crucial role in understanding brain function as it helps explain how neurons transmit electrical signals, how the brain processes sensory information, and how it controls movement and behavior.

3. Can simple physics help us understand brain disorders?

Yes, simple physics can provide valuable insights into brain disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and traumatic brain injuries. By studying the basic physical processes underlying these disorders, we can develop better treatments and interventions.

4. What are some examples of simple physics in daily life?

Simple physics is all around us in our daily lives. Some examples include throwing a ball, riding a bike, using a lever to lift heavy objects, and even the simple act of walking involves the principles of forces and motion.

5. How can I apply simple physics in my own experiments or projects?

If you are interested in incorporating simple physics into your experiments or projects, you can start by learning about the fundamental laws and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion or the laws of thermodynamics. You can also consult with a physics expert for guidance and assistance in designing and conducting your experiments.