A person takes a trip: Find the time spent on the trip, etc.

• Thread starter Alexanddros81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I get 473.68 km for the distance traveled. I didn't check your calculation, but your answer is right.In summary, a person takes a trip with an average speed of 77.8 Km/h, driving with a constant speed of 89.5 Km/h except for a 22.0-min rest stop. The time spent on the trip is not affected by the rest stop and can be calculated using the equation v_avg = D/t. Therefore, using this equation and the given information, the total distance traveled by the person is 473.68 km.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

A person takes a trip, driving with a constant of 89.5 Km/h, except for a 22.0-min rest stop.
If the person's average speed is 77.8 Km/h,
(a) how much time is spent on the trip and
(b) how far does the person travel?

This is problem 13, Chapter 2 from Serway Physics for scientists and engineers Volume 1 9th edition

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Serway Physics 2_13001.jpg
Serway Physics 2_13002.jpg

[/B]
Is my solution correct?

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_13001.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_13001.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 825
  • Serway Physics 2_13002.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_13002.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 794
Physics news on Phys.org
When you wrote $$V_{avg} = {89.5 t_{a \to b} + 89.5 t_{b \to c} \over t_{a \to b} + t_{b \to c} + t_{rest}}$$, that was correct but I think they mean to include the rest stop in the time taken.

I disagree with your numbers. It makes no sense to to split the time interval into 3 parts because it doesn't matter when the driver rests. For all you know, the driver can start 22.0 min late and have no rest stop and it wouldn't make a difference to the average speed and the distance traveled. The average speed is $$v_{avg}=\frac{D}{t_{rest}+t_{drive}}$$where ##D## is the total distance traveled. You also have a second equation relating ##D## and ##t_{drive}##. The two equations comprise a system of two equations and two unknowns, ##D## and ##t_{drive}##, that you have to solve.

Likes Alexanddros81
Yes, your solution is correct with the small correction that 77.8 * (22/60) = 28.53 not 28.008. That’s just some sort of round off error, but I can’t spot where or why it is so big.

I think you could do this much more succinctly effectively jumping right to the middle of your calculation by appropriate logic. What you arrive at third line from the bottom of part a:

(tdrive+ 22 min) * vavg = tdrive * vdrive

seems readily apparent and could easily have been written as the starting point of the solution.

Likes Alexanddros81
@kuruman :
thanks. The following is written according to your suggestion. Does it seem ok?

Serway Physics 2_13003.jpg

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_13003.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_13003.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 631
Your numbers agree with mine.

Likes Alexanddros81

1. How do you calculate the time spent on a trip?

The time spent on a trip can be calculated by subtracting the departure time from the arrival time. This will give you the total duration of the trip.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the time spent on a trip?

Some factors that should be considered when calculating the time spent on a trip include mode of transportation, distance traveled, potential delays or layovers, and any planned stops or activities during the trip.

3. Is there a standard formula for calculating the time spent on a trip?

There is no standard formula for calculating the time spent on a trip, as it will vary depending on the specific details of the trip. However, the basic formula of subtracting departure time from arrival time can be used in most cases.

4. Can the time spent on a trip be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time spent on a trip can be affected by external factors such as traffic, weather conditions, and unexpected delays or emergencies. It is important to factor in these potential disruptions when planning a trip.

5. How can technology be used to track and calculate the time spent on a trip?

Technology such as GPS devices, travel apps, and online travel planners can be used to track and calculate the time spent on a trip. These tools can help provide real-time updates on travel time and even suggest the most efficient routes to save time during the trip.