Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brake Power, Engine Speed and bmep Relationship

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    I'm currently doing a report on Petrol Engines and I'm having a problem with my results not making sense.

Am I correct in saying Break mean effective pressure (bmep) should increase as Engine Speed (rev/min) increases? My results do not reflect this and I don't understand why.

I have attached my results table below, I calculated brake power and bmep myself using these equations:

e6jDp.jpg
    APWGV.jpg

I believe the problem is in the Brake Power & bmep results, help is much appreciated.

m2qhU.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Nov 19, 2015 #3

JBA

I think the following quote from the above reference site addresses your concern:

The definition of BMEP is: the average (mean) pressure which, if imposed on the pistons uniformly from the top to the bottom of each power stroke, would produce the measured (brake) power output.

While the equations shown are based upon torque, in fact BMEP is really a measure primary of the filling efficiency of a cylinder during the intake stroke combined with fuel combustion energy; and, neither of these factors are related to engine speed. In reality, there is a potential for a reduction in BMEP at increased engine speeds due to a flowing pressure drop in the engines inlet system as the engine demands higher and higher air cfm flow rates. Increasing BMEP by raising the cylinder(s) air charge pressure is the primary reason for and function of superchargers and turbochargers. i.e. higher cylinder charging pressure = higher compression pressures and more air to be expanded during the combustion power cycle.

Added note: BMEP can also be potentially reduced at increased engine speeds due to the fact that the piston's downward travel rate is increased during the power stroke which in turn increases the cylinder volume increase rate relative to the cylinder's reduced combustion pressure rise burn time; this is where ignition timing and variable valve timing functions can come into play to offset this effect.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook