Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breakdown of metal passivation layers

1. Aug 26, 2014 #1
    Hi All

I hope that someone where can help me out.

Let's assume that we take a piece of Al foil and a Pt wire and put them into an ionic solution. We then apply a voltage difference of 2 V between the two. Al(+) and Pt(-). After a few seconds the Al electrode starts to corrode. Nothing new about that but can anyone tell me what happens before the corrosion starts? I assume that the aluminum oxide is being removed. I am interested in figuring out what voltage that is needed to remove the aluminum oxide. And the kinetics of it.

If this can be described in a theoretical manner I will prefer that as I would like to compare different metal oxides at different voltages.

Best regards
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2

Staff: Mentor

Way too many unknown factors for a theoretical treatment, experiments are a way to go.
  4. Aug 27, 2014 #3
    Okay, thanks.

Instead of testing every metal oxide there must be a way of finding those oxides that are most likely to be the best.

Any idea of how to this?
  5. Aug 28, 2014 #4

Staff: Mentor

In what sense?
  6. Sep 2, 2014 #5
    I want to find the best materials for passivating electrodes in ionic solutions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted