1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking & building a charged hollow sphere

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    A charged hollow sphere with surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex] & radius R is cut into two hemispheres...certainly the hemispheres with equal charges on them would repel each other...Now a force is applied on both the hemispheres to align them again as the original sphere..i shall be highly thankful if u could assist me finding that force applied on each hemisphere...its not a homework assignment...just a question i saw in a book...!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Interesting problem. If they were point charges, what would be the repulsive force as a function of separation discance? Once the two hemispheres are no longer in contact, what will the (formerly uniform) charge distribution be?

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3
    How can we consider them as point charges in this problem...??
    The repulsive force between the point charges can be calculated from coulomb's law...
    I thought this about approaching this problem..

let us take a hemisphere & we try to build another on it and see the force of repulsion due to each infinitely small ring constituting the upper hemisphere on the lower one....
    i can consider hemisphere to be build from infinite rings...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook