1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking into traffic at an intersection

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    I was given a very open ended question stating...

"How Long will it take to break into a line of traffic at a 'T' intersection"

I need some sort of start like a theory that includes this kind of thing. We have been studying probability this term so i need something to do with a probabilty distribution to solve this or something along those lines...

Just any help really would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

For a driver to turn into cross traffic, there needs to be some interval of time in which the driver can complete a turn (left or right) and accelerate to match the speed of the traffic.

One would have to determine the mean time (interval) between vehicles in the cross-traffic, and determine over some cumulative time, how often does the right interval between vehicles exceed the interval required for the turning vehicle to turn and match speed.

One has to determine the variables that affect the mean time between vehicles in the cross traffic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?