1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breather solution of the sine-Gordon equation

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    In a homework problem, the following statement is made:

Sine-Gordon equation for the field u(x, t) in dimensionless units reads:
    $$u_{tt}-u_{xx}+\sin u = 0$$
    Search for the breather solution in the form of variable separation:
    $$u(x,t)=4\arctan (\Theta(x,t)); \Theta(x,t)=A(t)B(x)$$

a. Substitute the above equation into sine-Gordon equation. Transform derivatives of
    arbitrariry function of ##\Theta## with the aid of ##\tilde{A}=A_t/A; \tilde{B} = B_x/B## in the following way:
    $$\partial_t F(\Theta) = \tilde{A} \partial_\Theta F(\Theta), \partial_x F(\Theta) = \tilde{B} \partial_\Theta F(\Theta)$$

My question about this problem is if the definition given for ##\partial_t F(\Theta)## and ##\partial_x F(\Theta)## is true. Because chain rule gives:
    $$\partial_t F(\Theta) = \partial_t(\Theta)\partial_\Theta F(\Theta) = BA_t\partial_\Theta F(\Theta) \neq A_t/A\partial_\Theta F(\Theta)$$

Furthermore, when it is substituted into the sine-Gordon equation, I obtain:
    $$(A^2B^2+1)\tilde{A}_t-2\tilde{A}^2AB-A^3B^3=(A^2B^2+1)\tilde{B}_t-2AB\tilde{B}^2-AB$$
    The LHS should become a function of A only, and RHS of B, but it seems like this is not possible.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2
    These are the quantities I have used:
    $$\sin u = \frac{-4(\Theta^3-\Theta)}{(\Theta^2+1)^2}\\
    u_{tt} = \tilde{A}_tB\partial_\Theta u +\tilde{A}^2\partial_{\Theta\Theta}u\\
    u_{xx} = A\tilde{B}_x\partial_\Theta u +\tilde{B}^2\partial_{\Theta\Theta}u $$
    where
    $$\partial_\Theta u = \frac{4}{\Theta^2+1}\\
    \partial_{\Theta\Theta} u = \frac{-8\Theta}{(\Theta^2+1)^2}$$

4. Jul 12, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree that what is written above is not correct. To see what they should have written, you have shown
    Simplify the last expression by writing it in terms of ##\tilde{A}##, ##\Theta##, and ##F(\Theta)##.

5. Jul 12, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK
    I get something different for ##u_{tt}## and ##u_{xx}##.
    OK

6. Jul 12, 2016 #5
    This could be true since I have used the "wrong" derivatives in the problem.

I have converted it to:
    $$u_t=A_t B\partial_\Theta u\\
    u_{tt} = \partial_t(A_t B \partial_\Theta u) = \partial_t(A_t B)\partial_\Theta u + A_tB\partial_{\Theta}(\partial_t u)\\
    =A_{tt}B\partial_\Theta u + A_t B \partial_{\Theta}(A_t B\partial_\Theta u)= A_{tt}B\partial_\Theta u + (A_t B)^2 \partial_{\Theta\Theta} u$$

7. Jul 12, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you will be better off expressing these in terms of ##\tilde{A}##.

For example, take ##u_t=A_t B\partial_\Theta u##. Can you express this in terms of ##\tilde{A}## (without any explicit appearance of ##B##)?

8. Jul 12, 2016 #7
    That would indeed be ##u_t = \tilde{A}\Theta \partial_\Theta u## and ##u_{tt} = \tilde{A}_t\Theta u_\Theta + 2\tilde{A}^2\Theta u_\Theta + \tilde{A}^2\Theta^2u_{\Theta\Theta}## if I calculated correctly (it is a bit late now and I am a bit sleepy).

This looks a lot more appropriate and I will proceed tomorrow to work out the sine-Gordon equation.

9. Jul 12, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, except I'm not getting the factor of 2 in the middle term of the expression for ##u_{tt}##.

Sounds good.

10. Jul 12, 2016 #9
    Yes I saw where the mistake came from, I am going to revise everything a bit tomorrow when I am a bit more fresh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted