Bremmstrahlung in neutral atom collisions

In summary, a 1962 paper discusses bremmstahlung between neutral atoms in collisions, potentially resulting in frequencies outside of the usual line broadening mechanisms. The author is still working through the paper titled "Bremsstrahlung in Atom-Atom Collisions" from 1985 Sov. Physics JETP, and anticipates a small emissivity for a band of wavelengths. A link to the paper would be appreciated.
Getterdog
I found an old paper online (1962) I think, stating that bremmstahlung occurs between different neutral atoms in collisions. Am I correct in assuming that this will result in frequencies outside of the usual line broadening mechanisms? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could give a "link" to the paper. It sounds interesting. I anticipate that the mechanisms will result in a finite (rather than zero) emissivity for a band of wavelengths, but I also anticipate, in general, the emissivity resulting from this will still be quite small.

Charles Link said:
Perhaps you could give a "link" to the paper. It sounds interesting. I anticipate that the mechanisms will result in a finite (rather than zero) emissivity for a band of wavelengths, but I also anticipate, in general, the emissivity resulting from this will still be quite small.
I’m still working through the paper. The title is “bremsstrahlung in Atom atom collisions. 1985 Sov. Physics JETP.

Likes Charles Link

What is Bremmstrahlung in neutral atom collisions?

Bremmstrahlung is the emission of electromagnetic radiation, specifically X-rays or gamma rays, by a charged particle when it is decelerated due to collisions with neutral atoms.

Why does Bremmstrahlung occur in neutral atom collisions?

Bremmstrahlung occurs because the charged particle loses energy as it is decelerated by the electric field of the neutral atom. This loss of energy is emitted in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

What types of particles can undergo Bremmstrahlung in neutral atom collisions?

Any charged particle can undergo Bremmstrahlung in neutral atom collisions, including electrons, protons, and heavier ions.

How does the energy of the emitted radiation in Bremmstrahlung relate to the energy of the charged particle?

The energy of the emitted radiation is directly proportional to the energy of the charged particle. This means that higher energy charged particles will emit higher energy radiation.

What are some practical applications of Bremmstrahlung in neutral atom collisions?

Bremmstrahlung is commonly used in medical imaging and radiation therapy, as well as in industrial processes such as X-ray fluorescence analysis. It is also important in understanding the physics of high-energy particle interactions.