1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brightkite - location-based social network

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    http://brightkite.com/

It's an iPhone application (or runs on simple phones too). It finds your GPS location and tells you about all other users are withing 100 m, 200 m, or .. 2 km .., .. range.

I think it's a really impressive application but there are obviously privacy issues. It can be very useful though - like getting traffic information or parking spots etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
    There is a similar app on google phone.

I don't see what's the point to know that your neighbour has an iphone, or someone you don't know entered a store.

I guess a variation that shows you the location of your friends only would be more useful.

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    But that can be as useful as
    http://www.gasbuddy.com/
    where strangers are providing us information about the lowest gas prices.

Brightkite is a new application and there aren't many users yet, and many people don't own iphones. But, I think these kind of applications which enable us to easily share information with a large group of strangers can be very useful.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

Mk

Privacy issues? Well if you wanted privacy about this you wouldn't have downloaded the app in the first place.

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    it would certainly be a great way to stream location-specific ads to people

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my thought, too...what a great way for marketers to constantly pester you.

8. Feb 1, 2009 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I saw this advertised. I can see it appealing to young people with a closed set of friends, but I can't imagine sharing my location and what I'm doing with complete strangers. Talk about an invitation to psychos.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?