Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brightkite - location-based social network

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    http://brightkite.com/

It's an iPhone application (or runs on simple phones too). It finds your GPS location and tells you about all other users are withing 100 m, 200 m, or .. 2 km .., .. range.

I think it's a really impressive application but there are obviously privacy issues. It can be very useful though - like getting traffic information or parking spots etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
    There is a similar app on google phone.

I don't see what's the point to know that your neighbour has an iphone, or someone you don't know entered a store.

I guess a variation that shows you the location of your friends only would be more useful.

4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    But that can be as useful as
    http://www.gasbuddy.com/
    where strangers are providing us information about the lowest gas prices.

Brightkite is a new application and there aren't many users yet, and many people don't own iphones. But, I think these kind of applications which enable us to easily share information with a large group of strangers can be very useful.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

Mk

Privacy issues? Well if you wanted privacy about this you wouldn't have downloaded the app in the first place.

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    it would certainly be a great way to stream location-specific ads to people

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my thought, too...what a great way for marketers to constantly pester you.

8. Feb 1, 2009 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I saw this advertised. I can see it appealing to young people with a closed set of friends, but I can't imagine sharing my location and what I'm doing with complete strangers. Talk about an invitation to psychos.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?