Brightness of objects through a telescope

In summary: Looking at objects on Earth through a telescope does not significantly change their brightness. Similarly, groups of stars, like nebulae, appear brighter through a telescope. An investigation into the effects of brightness and magnification could involve observing a bulb in a dark room through different lenses. Alternative methods, such as counting the number of stars visible through a telescope with different eyepieces, could also be used.
NihalRi
Hi my question is about how the brightness of stellar objects is effected when we look at them through a telescope.
Firstly when I looked through a telescope I noticed there were more stars I could see. Is the reason because a telescope can gather more light than our eye or does it have something to do with magnification.
Also the more we magnify, an object such as the moon appears dimmer. And if we look at objects on Earth they seem to not change brightness much, maybe they become brighter I'm not sure, but I'm wondering why.
Lastly I would like to extend this question to groups of stars like in nebuae. Do they appear btighter or dimmer through telescopes?
I'd like to conducted an investigation of how brightness is effected by magnification and I'm just not sure I'd get any results, I'm also stugling to find a good way yo conduct it, I'm thinking of observing a bulb in a dark toom through different lenses, I haven't thought if s discreet way of obtaining measurements yet. Any suggestions? Or perhaps an alternative like counting the number of stars I can see through a telescope by changing the eye peices?
Thanks in advance :D

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The light gathering power of a telescope obviously makes stars appear brighter. Magnification only improves the ability to discern individual stars. Since all stars are so distant they appear to be point sources of light, magnification does not dilute their luminosity like it does for planets.

Likes NihalRi

1. What is the brightness of an object through a telescope?

The brightness of an object through a telescope is determined by its magnitude, which is a measure of its apparent brightness as seen from Earth. The lower the magnitude number, the brighter the object appears to be.

2. How does the size of a telescope affect the brightness of an object?

The size of a telescope does not directly affect the brightness of an object. However, a larger telescope can gather more light and therefore make the object appear brighter and more detailed.

3. Can the brightness of an object change when viewed through a telescope?

Yes, the brightness of an object can change when viewed through a telescope. This can be due to factors such as the rotation of the Earth, atmospheric conditions, and the variability of some celestial objects.

4. How can different filters affect the brightness of an object through a telescope?

Different filters can affect the brightness of an object through a telescope by selectively allowing certain wavelengths of light to pass through. Some filters, such as a neutral density filter, can reduce the overall brightness of the object, while others, like a narrowband filter, can enhance certain features.

5. Is the brightness of an object through a telescope the same as its actual brightness?

No, the brightness of an object through a telescope is not the same as its actual brightness. The telescope's optics and the Earth's atmosphere can affect the observed brightness. To accurately measure the actual brightness of an object, astronomers use specialized instruments and techniques.