Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

British sitcoms

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Saturday night is British sitcom night on my local PBS station. I have become addicted to them.

My all time favourite (British spelling there :tongue2:) is Mulberry. This is about the son of Death that has been given his first "assignment".

"Mulberry, the cheerful Cockney son of Death and Springtime, starts his "career" as the Grim Reaper's apprentice when he is sent to collect the acerbic and reclusive Miss Farnaby. He instead joins the staff in her creaky manor house, becomes her personal servant, and endeavors to help her enjoy life during the three month extension grudgingly granted by his dad. What will happen when winter ends and spring arrives? Will life go on?"

My second favourite is "Keeping up appearances". I love the Mrs. B-U-C-K-E-T, that's pronounced "bouquet".

The other shows are "Good Neighbors", To the manor born" and "As time goes by".

Does anyone else watch these? Any other similar shows I should check out? I see that a lot of these shows are available now in the US on DVD.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2
    Keeping up appearances is a great show indeed.

I also love the police series like Frost, Morse, Judge John Deed.

marlon

4. Feb 3, 2007 #3
    Well, I like "Are You Being Served?" but I have only seen a few episodes and only remember a few that I watched when I was in primary school.

If you like Rowan Atkinson, then he stars in a police series called "The Thin Blue Line."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  5. Feb 3, 2007 #4

Astronuc

"Fawlty Towers" :rofl:

"Mr. Bean" :biggrin:

"Blackadder" - but I don't know if that qualifies as a sitcom.

Of course, I could watch "Monty Python's Flying Circus" anytime. :rofl:

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's funny. On Sunday, it's my British Murder Mystery day. On the Biography channel, starting at 1:00 PM central, it starts a series of british murder mystery that I absolutely love. It begins with Midsommer Murder Mystery, which is THE best murder mystery show anywhere on TV, in my book. It is 2 hours long, and every single episode is finely crafted, with memorable characters. It is usually followed by another 2 hours of another Midsommer Murder, and then followed by Hurcule Poirot (usually 2 or 3 episodes in a row), and the at 8:00 pm, another Midsommer Murder, then followed by Sherlock Holmes.

It is why I seldom go out on Sunday afternoon/evening. :)

BTW, Evo, my most favorite Keeping Up Appearances episode is when Mrs. Bucket got chased by a gaggle of geese when she was trying to buy a house in the country or something.

Zz.

7. Feb 3, 2007 #6
    Fawlty Towers, haha, yes, a great show as well. I don't really like Mr Bean but i love Monty Python.

8. Feb 3, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow; I didn't realise British sitcoms were that popular! Fawlty towers my all time favorite sitcom.

Evo, what is "Good Neighbors"? I've never heard of that one :confused:

9. Feb 3, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Allo Allo. I have to say they aren't the best selection of british sitcom they could have had.

10. Feb 3, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think its The Good life.

11. Feb 3, 2007 #10

radou

Homework Helper

Midsommer is the best. Btw, the british are gods for murder mystery shows. Actually, A Touch of Frost is even better. :smile:

12. Feb 3, 2007 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am not familiar with A Touch of Frost. Is it on BBC America?

Zz.

13. Feb 3, 2007 #12

verty

Homework Helper

For some reason, My Family cracks me up.

14. Feb 3, 2007 #13

Astronuc

I watched "The Young Ones" a few times, but it was just to wierd for my taste.

BBC's "Coupling" is pretty funny. Miss Jeff though - "Reeesults!" :rofl: The best one was where Jeff meets a girl from Israel and thinks her name is "Shadayim". The girl doesn't speak English and Jeff doesn't speak Hebrew. :rofl:

The one were Jeff inadvertently swallows the key is also great. :rofl:

15. Feb 3, 2007 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahh, OK.. it's a bit before my time, and I never really liked it when I saw the repeats.

16. Feb 3, 2007 #15

Evo

Well, tonight's episode is "Tom invents a generator that makes electricity from animal manure" It fits right in with some of the discussions we've been having here lately.

I believe it's called "The Good Life" in Britain.

"Tom and Barbara Good's dream is to live completely self-sufficiently. This means, among other things, raising their own vegetables and animals for food. Trouble is, they live in the suburbs. Their very conservative neighbors, the Leadbetters, look on, horrified, at this bold experiment."

17. Feb 3, 2007 #16
    I completely agree with that.

Here is one of my all time favourite Fawlty Towers scenes :

marlon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Feb 3, 2007 #17

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know about that; "Diagnosis Murder" and "Murder She Wrote" are classic afternoon student viewing!

19. Feb 3, 2007 #18

radou

Homework Helper

Don't know.

Keyword: David Jason. :cool:

Edit:

They're great, I've got all the seasons on DVD. Didn't manage to see all of them yet, though. :smile:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  20. Feb 3, 2007 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Young One's is excellent but very surreal which I love. Game On is a more modern sitcom and is very funny and allegedly the inspiration for Friends which I can't stand.

21. Feb 3, 2007 #20
    Fawlty Towers.

By John Cleese and his wife Coonie Boothe who plays the waitress. Absolutelly brilliant two geniuses of comedy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?