Bs Computer Science & Ms math & PhD physics

In summary, the speaker has switched from a Bachelor's in Bs physics engineering to a Bachelor's in Computer Science because they did not enjoy the laboratory aspect. However, they still want to pursue a career in theoretical physics and have taken relevant courses and attended summer schools. They believe the best path towards their dream is to pursue a Master's in math and then part iii in Cambridge. They have some questions about this plan, including whether it is possible to pursue an advanced degree not directly related to their Bachelor's, and if it is possible to be a theoretical physicist with a Bachelor's in computer science and a Master's in math. They also wonder if Cambridge accepts students with this educational background into part iii. In summary, the speaker believes choosing a
SantAna
I was in Bs physics engineering but I decided to switch away from and now I am taking my bachelor degree in Computer Science (I couldn't stand laboratories) but I still want to be a theoretical physicist! I have taken some courses in physics like quantum mechanics and fortunately I was able to do some summer schools in gravitation and astrophysics.

But I think the only way to follow my dream is to do Ms in math and then part iii in Cambridge.

Nevertheless, I still have some question:
i. Is it possible to get an advanced degree that is not directly related to your Bachelor's?

ii. Is it possible to be a theoretical physicist with my bs in computer science and ms in math?

iii. Do Cambridge accept people with bs in computer science and ms in math into partiii?

Physics news on Phys.org
(i) and (ii): yes.
It helps to choose some math topic that is used in your favorite area of theoretical physics.

(iii) ask them?

What is the difference between a BS in Computer Science, MS in Math, and PhD in Physics?

The BS in Computer Science focuses on the fundamentals of computer programming, software development, and computer systems. The MS in Math delves deeper into mathematical theories and concepts, with a focus on advanced mathematics and statistics. The PhD in Physics is a research-based degree that explores the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world.

What kind of career opportunities are available for someone with a BS in Computer Science, MS in Math, and PhD in Physics?

With this combination of degrees, one could pursue a career in fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, computational physics, or mathematical modeling. Additionally, these degrees can open doors to research opportunities in academia or in the private sector.

Is it possible to complete a BS in Computer Science, MS in Math, and PhD in Physics in a shorter amount of time?

Some universities may offer combined programs that allow students to earn both their bachelor's and master's degrees in a shorter amount of time. However, pursuing a PhD in Physics typically takes 3-5 years beyond the completion of a master's degree, and this timeline is not usually shortened.

Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a background in Computer Science and Math?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with a background in Computer Science and Math. Many physics programs value interdisciplinary backgrounds and may even offer specific research opportunities for students with a strong foundation in computer science and math.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from completing a BS in Computer Science, MS in Math, and PhD in Physics?

These degrees will provide a strong foundation in computer programming, software development, mathematical theories and concepts, and research skills. Additionally, you will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that can be applied to a variety of fields and industries.