BS physics to a MS mech. engineering?

In summary, the conversation is about a 2nd year student at FSU who is considering switching majors from mechanical engineering to physics because they don't like the satellite campus. They are interested in pursuing a career as a Disney imagineer and are wondering if a BS in physics and MS in ME would be competitive in the field. They also have questions about qualifications for analytical finance work with a physics degree and how it compares to engineering and math majors. The advice given is to carefully consider the switch and potentially apply for a transfer instead. It is also noted that while mechanical engineering does require some physics knowledge, it is not as easy as it may seem.
jde08
I'm a 2nd year student at FSU. Currently a ME major. Considering switching because I don't like the satellite campus that houses the College of Engineering here. The main campus was why I selected FSU. I've heard that a BS physics is an easy crossover to a MS M.E. Plus I love physics, its my leisure reading usually. But I have a few questions.

- Would a BS physics/MS ME be competitive with a BS/MS ME in the field. My dream job is to be a Disney imagineer.
- What kind of qualifications are needed to do analytical finance work with physics? Would I be able to be competitive with engineering/math majors? As this would be my second job choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, so I can't really answer your questions, but I would think twice before changing majors just because you don't like the campus. Granted, one's study environment is important, but still ...

jde08 said:
I'm a 2nd year student at FSU. Currently a ME major. Considering switching because I don't like the satellite campus that houses the College of Engineering here. The main campus was why I selected FSU. I've heard that a BS physics is an easy crossover to a MS M.E. Plus I love physics, its my leisure reading usually. But I have a few questions.

- Would a BS physics/MS ME be competitive with a BS/MS ME in the field. My dream job is to be a Disney imagineer.
- What kind of qualifications are needed to do analytical finance work with physics? Would I be able to be competitive with engineering/math majors? As this would be my second job choice.

While Mechanical engineering requires intensive classical physics, fluid dynamics and a few other popular topics in physics, it is not really as easy as you think.

Well, I am saying this is because my physics advisor told me when I asked for double major.
I totally agree with the poster above. Don't just switch because you don't like the program or people there. Apply for transfer if you have to.

1. What is the difference between a BS in physics and an MS in mechanical engineering?

A BS in physics focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while an MS in mechanical engineering applies these principles to the design, analysis, and development of mechanical systems.

2. Can I pursue an MS in mechanical engineering with a BS in physics?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs in engineering that accept students with a BS in physics. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses in engineering before beginning the MS program.

3. What skills from a BS in physics will be useful in an MS in mechanical engineering?

A BS in physics provides a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, all of which are essential for success in an MS in mechanical engineering.

4. Will I need to have a background in engineering to pursue an MS in mechanical engineering?

While a background in engineering can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many MS programs in mechanical engineering are designed to accommodate students from diverse academic backgrounds, including physics.

5. What career opportunities are available with an MS in mechanical engineering after a BS in physics?

An MS in mechanical engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and more. With a BS in physics, you may also have the option to pursue a research or academic career in engineering or physics.