BST - what is the weird layer at the bottom?

• Thread starter vinven7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of depositing BST thin films on a Platinized Silicon substrate using spin casting. The final film was annealed for an hour at a high temperature and the grain size was found to be between 40-60 nm. However, when examining the cross section, a damaged layer of around 8 um was found at the bottom of the film. The film also has lower capacitance than expected, possibly due to this damaged layer. The possibility of oxidation of the substrate's platinum is mentioned, but it is assumed that measures have been taken to prevent this.
vinven7
Hello,

I was in the processing of depositing BST thin films on Platinized Silicon substrate from solution using spin casting. Six layers were deposited. Each deposition was followed by 400 celsius for seven minutes and 700 celsius for three minutes. The final film was annealed for an hour at 700 celsius. The grain size seems to be in the range of 40 - 60 nm.
When doing the cross section SEM i find that there is a weird looking highly damaged layer at the bottom of the film that is around 8 um thick. The film itself is around 500 nm thick.
Does anyone have any idea what this layer is? Have you encountered it before?
The film has lower capacitance than expected, I suspect that this might be a reason why.

Attachments

• 062312-bst-cs-10.jpg
    062312-bst-cs-10.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 437
  • 062312-bst-cs-7.jpg
    062312-bst-cs-7.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 460
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry... I have absolutely no knowledge of the subject. All that I can think of is oxidation of the platinum in the substrate, but I assume that you have measures in place to prevent that.

1. What is BST?

BST stands for Binary Search Tree. It is a data structure used to store and organize data in a hierarchical way, making it easier and faster to search for specific values.

2. What is the weird layer at the bottom of BST?

The weird layer at the bottom of BST is called the leaf layer. It contains the nodes with no children, and serves as the end point for the tree's branches.

3. Why is the leaf layer considered weird?

The leaf layer is considered weird because it does not follow the same pattern as the rest of the tree. The nodes in the leaf layer do not have any child nodes, unlike the other layers where each node has two child nodes.

4. Can the leaf layer be empty?

Yes, the leaf layer can be empty. In some cases, a BST may not have any values to be inserted in the leaf layer, resulting in an empty layer at the bottom of the tree.

5. What is the purpose of the leaf layer in BST?

The leaf layer serves as the end point for the tree's branches. It also helps maintain the balance of the tree, ensuring that the tree is not skewed to one side. Additionally, it allows for efficient searching of values in the tree.