Build Your Own Aluminum Shredder on a Budget

In summary: I have a foundry with a 4" crucible and would very much like to shreader the plethora of stock car bodies at my disposal.The most efficient way to reduce the size of an aluminium object is to use a saw or shears. I would suggest the two blade scissor type electric powered metal shears. Three finger shears produce a coil of waste that might be compacted. Carbide tipped saws will produce many hard to control small chips. There are now slower speed counter-rotating dual blade saws that are easy to control.If you have a shredder that is the right size for the material that you are shredding, you will not need to replace the cutters.
Acornstu
Working on somewhat of a budget i have the need to shred aluminum sheeting. I have a foundry with a 4 inch crucible and would very much like to shreader the plethora of stock car bodies at my disposal. I'm unsure what Guage the car bodies are but you can fold it by hand. I'll mostly be shredding this and aluminum cans in order to compact them in a can bailer into 3 1/2 inch cylinders to feed my foundry. I've looked at several shredders but they all seem either too small or greatly out of my price range. I've looked into possibly using an old wood chipper but I've heard the blades would easily dull and may not even shred aluminum at all.

If anyone knows of any online plans to build my own I'd be grateful. I have or will purchase the motor required to run it. Hopefully electric. Thank you for any input.

You will need to reduce aluminium bodies to shredder size by using a saw or shears. I would suggest the two blade scissor type electric powered metal shears. Three finger shears produce a coil of waste that might be compacted. Carbide tipped saws will produce many hard to control small chips. There are now slower speed counter-rotating dual blade saws that are easy to control.

It may be better to cut 3” strips of sheet, then pack them together in bundles. Compacted chaff from a shredder melts more slowly than solid aluminium because of the discontinuous internal thermal conductive path. Try to melt a tight roll of Al foil sometime, it is very slow and produces lots of oxide.

The shredder you need should be specified by size of inlet aperture, gauge and the hardest material being recycled. Scrap metal shredders continuously sacrifice their hammers / cutters. Some cutters need to be replaced after only 24 hours of continuous operation.

Related to Build Your Own Aluminum Shredder on a Budget

1. What materials do I need to build an aluminum shredder?

To build an aluminum shredder on a budget, you will need a few key materials including a motor, blades, a frame, and a hopper. You may also need additional materials such as bearings, bolts, and a power supply depending on your design.

2. Can I use any type of motor for my shredder?

Yes, you can use a variety of motors for your aluminum shredder, as long as it has enough power and torque to shred the aluminum. Some common options include washing machine motors, electric motors from power tools, and car windshield wiper motors.

3. How much does it cost to build an aluminum shredder?

The cost of building an aluminum shredder on a budget will vary depending on the materials you choose and any additional tools or supplies you may need. However, it is possible to build one for under $100 if you use recycled materials and have access to basic tools.

4. Is it safe to build my own aluminum shredder?

As with any DIY project, there are potential safety hazards involved in building and operating an aluminum shredder. It is important to follow safety precautions and use protective gear when working with power tools and sharp blades. It is also recommended to consult with an expert or seek professional guidance if you are unsure about the safety of your design.

5. What can I do with shredded aluminum?

Shredded aluminum can be used for a variety of purposes, such as recycling or creating new products. It can also be melted down and used for casting or 3D printing. Some people also use shredded aluminum for art projects or as a material for industrial applications.