Building a robot that moves and picks up objects with IR sensors

  • Thread starter Thread starter CronoSpark
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Building Robot
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
CronoSpark
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I would like to build a basic automated robot. Is there any recommendations on what resources I should look at?

Edit:
Currently, my objectives for the robot is:

-Ability to move along a 2-D flat surface (with wheels)
-Able to pick up and transfer an erasor (using optical (IR) sensors/closed feedback)

Edit:

Should this thread be in the Mechanical Engineering section?

Thanks,

-CronoSpark
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. First of all, pick a microcontroller. Microchip's PIC is a nice one. They even send free samples to you. You can also use Motorola chips or any brand you like. Then, learn to program it. Its really more easy than doing it with hardware. Then, look for projects in the web: there are tons of free projects. I would recommend you check
http://www.winpicprog.co.uk/pic_tutorial.htm
Hope it helps
 
I see a ton of do-it-yourelf robotics books in the engineering section at my local Border's book store. I'd say take a look and google robotics. There are a ton of sites out there like was already mentioned.
 
Besides the microcontroller, is AI necessary for making a robot?
 
You can experiment with ARobot from Arrick Robotics.
http://www.robotics.com/arobot/
Its a programmable robot using Basic Stamp II controller using the PBasic Language. Is definitely a very expandable robot and a good start. I plan on purchasing this one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the microcontroller, is AI necessary for making a robot?
It dpeneds on what you mean by "AI".

I would consider the logic necessary to:

(1) Locate and identify the eraser.
(2) Determine its spatial position.
(3) Figure out how to get to it.
(4) Figure out how to get to the destination.

to all fall under the term "artificial intelligence".