Building an electromagnet, would appreciate advice

• Thread starter VYP
  • Start date
VYP

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,
I want to repel a permanent Neo magnet using an electromagnet which i want to build. The distance from which it should repel is about 2 inches and to a height of 1 inch. So what would be the ideal gauge of copper wire and the number of turns on the MS rod as core, if i supply 12v DC through it?

I have already read through this related thread from a few years back: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/building-an-electromagnet-need-help.690449/

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
How about posting a sketch of the concept. If the repulsion is in the z direction, how will the x, y position and the orientation of the neo magnet be controlled? Is the repulsion upwards against gravity or along something? How much does the neo magnet weigh?

VYP
Hi,
This is my rough requirement in the sketch....would really be thankful for the suggestions
IMG_20160624_095914[1].jpg

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The distance from which it should repel is about 2 inches and to a height of 1 inch.
So you are wanting the air space between the end of the electromagnet core and the end of the permanent magnet to change from 2" vertically to 3" vertically and upwards?

You can't compromise on this? (Once details come to light I think we'll find you are asking much.)

Also, you have not provided the details Baluncore sought.

The coil surrounding the air core as illustrated on the drawing will have very little tractive force compared to a coil utilizing a solid core.
Wind one of each, and evaluate your results.

John

VYP
Thank you
What if i want to attract an iron cylinder 10mm*10mm vertically upwards.....what all should I consider??

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
What if i want to attract an iron cylinder 10mm*10mm vertically upwards.....what all should I consider??
You should consider explaining why you might want to do it. What is the reason of this design work ?
What do you want to build ?