Bulk Modulus Problem - Two solutions?

In summary, when water freezes, it expands by about 9% and this increase in volume can create pressure within an automobile engine. However, the bulk modulus of the ice, which is used to calculate the pressure increase, is dependent on the original volume of the water. Therefore, if the engine is not allowing the water to expand, the pressure increase will be less than if the water were allowed to expand freely. This is demonstrated by the two different approaches to the problem, with the second approach being the correct one. Additionally, this concept cannot be applied to a balloon filled with water as the increase in volume of the balloon material is not taken into account in the calculation of pressure.
najd

Homework Statement

Question:
When water freezes it expands about 9%. What pressure increase would occur inside your automobile engine if the water froze. The bulk modulus of the ice is 2x10⁹N/m².

Homework Equations

B = - Δp/(ΔV/V)

The Attempt at a Solution

My 1st solution:
Volume was originally V. Then increased by 9%, so that Vf = 0.09V + V = 1.09V.
ΔV/V = 0.09.
Δp = 0.09*2x10⁹= 180MPa.

Answer should be 165MPa.

My 2nd solution:
I tried treating it in reverse.
Volume was originally 1.09V. Then decreased by 9% to V.
Surprisingly, ΔV/V = 0.09V/1.09V.
Δp = (0.09*2x10⁹)/1.09 = 165MPa.

Can someone please explain the error in my first attempt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi najd, welcome to PF!

The engine is not forcing the ice to expand from V to 1.09V. The engine is forcing the ice, which would otherwise expand on its own from V to 1.09V, to remain at V. This is equivalent to applying pressure to reduce the volume from 1.09V to V. Does this make sense?

Hey! Thanks!

So you're saying my second approach is correct because the pressure caused by the engine, which can only hold V of water, is preventing the ice from expanding to 1.09V, whereas if it the engine weren't there, the ice would expand normally.

Okay. I understand. Thank you!

Hmm, okay, another situation. Let's pretend that water of volume V is inside a balloon which has no effect except for occupying the water. As it freezes, it will expand by 9%, right? The balloon is NOT stopping it from expanding because it's merely occupying it. If I were to calculate the pressure done by the water on the balloon, would my first attempt at solving the problem be correct?

najd said:
Hmm, okay, another situation. Let's pretend that water of volume V is inside a balloon which has no effect except for occupying the water. As it freezes, it will expand by 9%, right? The balloon is NOT stopping it from expanding because it's merely occupying it. If I were to calculate the pressure done by the water on the balloon, would my first attempt at solving the problem be correct?

Not really, because the balloon's volume doesn't increase by 9%.

I think you misunderstood me because I forgot to mention that the balloon's initial volume is V as well. The water of volume V was filling it, entirely, so the balloon's volume would increase by 9%, too.

najd said:
I think you misunderstood me because I forgot to mention that the balloon's initial volume is V as well. The water of volume V was filling it, entirely, so the balloon's volume would increase by 9%, too.

Certainly, but you asked whether you could apply your first approach to the balloon. The volume of the balloon material (rubber, for example) doesn't increase by 9%. So you couldn't take the bulk modulus of the balloon material and argue that the pressure on the balloon material is [itex]\Delta P=-B(\Delta V/V)[/itex]. The pressure that a stretched balloon exerts on its contents is a different type of calculation.

1. What is the bulk modulus problem and why is it important?

The bulk modulus problem is a mathematical concept that describes the resistance of a material to changes in volume under an applied pressure. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of materials under stress and how they respond to external forces.

2. What are the two solutions to the bulk modulus problem?

The two solutions to the bulk modulus problem are the Voigt solution and the Reuss solution. The Voigt solution assumes that the material is perfectly elastic and isotropic, while the Reuss solution assumes that the material is perfectly plastic and isotropic. These solutions provide an upper and lower bound for the actual bulk modulus of a material.

3. How do the two solutions to the bulk modulus problem differ?

The Voigt solution assumes that all components of the material are perfectly elastic, meaning they return to their original shape after the applied pressure is released. The Reuss solution, on the other hand, assumes that all components are perfectly plastic, meaning they permanently deform under pressure. These two solutions provide different estimates for the bulk modulus based on the material's behavior.

4. How is the bulk modulus problem used in materials science?

The bulk modulus problem is used in materials science to understand and predict the behavior of materials under stress. By using the two solutions, researchers can estimate the bulk modulus of a material and determine its ability to withstand external forces. This information is crucial in designing and engineering materials for various applications.

5. Can the bulk modulus problem be solved for all materials?

No, the bulk modulus problem cannot be solved for all materials. The Voigt and Reuss solutions are based on certain assumptions about the material, such as isotropy and perfect elasticity or plasticity. These assumptions may not hold true for all materials, making it impossible to accurately solve the bulk modulus problem. In these cases, other methods and models must be used to estimate the bulk modulus.