Question Regarding Bulk Modulus

In summary, the deepest point in any ocean is in the Mariana Trench, about 11 km deep in the Pacific, with a pressure of 1.13 X 10^8 N/m^2. To calculate the change in volume of 1 m3 of seawater carried from the surface to this deepest point, we use the bulk modulus equation, which gives us a value of -0.0538 m^2. This value should be inputted as a negative value for the online assignment website to accept it as correct. The rest of the problem should not be difficult once this issue is resolved.
Ithryndil
The deepest point in any ocean is in the Mariana Trench, which is about 11 km deep, in the Pacific. The pressure at this depth is huge, about 1.13 X 10^8 N/m^2.

(a) Calculate the change in volume of 1 m3 of seawater carried from the surface to this deepest point.
wrong check mark m3

(b) The density of seawater at the surface is 1.03 X 10^3 kg/m3. Find its density at the bottom.
kg/m3

(c) Is it a good approximation to think of water as incompressible?
Yes
No

-----------------------------

The above is the question. Now, I didn't think I would have an issue with this, but apparently I am. The bulk modulus equation is:

B = -ΔP/ [(ΔV/Vi)] where:
B = bulk modulus, ΔP = change in pressure, ΔV = change in volume and Vi = initial volume.

I am trying to find ΔV for part A (afterwards the rest should not be difficult at all).

So ΔV = -[ΔP(Vi)]/B

When you use 0.21 X 10^10 for the bulk modulus of water (which apparently the online assignment website wants this for water and not seawater), you get:

ΔV = -(1.13 X 10^8)(1)/(0.21 X 10^10) = -0.0538 m^2

I actually inputted this into the website as a positive value and it counted it as wrong. The reason this is strange is because it will normally say "wrong sign" and if it's off by 10% or less it will say so. So I am hesitant to input in the negative value because that will be my last submission. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This can be locked, I figured out the problem.

It's possible that the website is looking for the change in volume in cubic meters, not square meters. In that case, you would need to multiply your answer by the initial volume, 1 m^3. So the change in volume would be -0.0538 m^3.

Regarding the density at the bottom, you can use the equation p = p0/(1+βΔP), where p is the density at the bottom, p0 is the density at the surface, β is the compressibility of water (5.1 X 10^-10 Pa^-1), and ΔP is the change in pressure. Plugging in the values, you would get a density of 1.04 X 10^3 kg/m^3.

As for whether it is a good approximation to think of water as incompressible, it depends on the context and level of accuracy needed. Water is considered incompressible in most everyday situations, but at extreme depths and pressures, it does exhibit some compressibility. So it may be a good approximation for this particular question, but in general, it is not completely accurate.

What is bulk modulus?

Bulk modulus is a measure of how resistant a substance is to compression. It is a physical property of a material and is commonly denoted by the symbol K.

How is bulk modulus calculated?

Bulk modulus is calculated by dividing the change in applied pressure (ΔP) by the resulting change in volume (ΔV) of a substance. It is expressed in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

What are some examples of substances with high bulk modulus?

Substances with high bulk modulus include diamond, steel, and glass. These materials are very resistant to compression and have a high stiffness.

Why is bulk modulus important?

Bulk modulus is important because it helps us understand how materials will behave under different pressures. It is also used to determine the speed of sound in a material, as well as its ability to withstand external forces.

How does temperature affect bulk modulus?

Generally, as temperature increases, the bulk modulus of a substance decreases. This is because the atoms or molecules in the material are able to move more freely, making it easier to compress. However, this relationship may vary depending on the specific properties of the substance.