1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question Regarding Bulk Modulus

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    The deepest point in any ocean is in the Mariana Trench, which is about 11 km deep, in the Pacific. The pressure at this depth is huge, about 1.13 X 10^8 N/m^2.

(a) Calculate the change in volume of 1 m3 of seawater carried from the surface to this deepest point.
    wrong check mark m3

(b) The density of seawater at the surface is 1.03 X 10^3 kg/m3. Find its density at the bottom.

(c) Is it a good approximation to think of water as incompressible?

The above is the question. Now, I didn't think I would have an issue with this, but apparently I am. The bulk modulus equation is:

B = -ΔP/ [(ΔV/Vi)] where:
    B = bulk modulus, ΔP = change in pressure, ΔV = change in volume and Vi = initial volume.

I am trying to find ΔV for part A (afterwards the rest should not be difficult at all).

So ΔV = -[ΔP(Vi)]/B

When you use 0.21 X 10^10 for the bulk modulus of water (which apparently the online assignment website wants this for water and not seawater), you get:

ΔV = -(1.13 X 10^8)(1)/(0.21 X 10^10) = -0.0538 m^2

I actually inputted this into the website as a positive value and it counted it as wrong. The reason this is strange is because it will normally say "wrong sign" and if it's off by 10% or less it will say so. So I am hesitant to input in the negative value because that will be my last submission. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2
    This can be locked, I figured out the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?