Forces involved in egg-drop experiment: 25 Newtons to Break an Egg?

In summary: If short of time use the value for time you measured. Otherwise perhaps look at the other equations of motion or SUVAT equation to calculate the time. Do both?
Yellowkies_3275

Homework Statement

So I've spent many hours on here and deep deeeeeep in my textbooks trying to learn things...that pertain to the Egg drop experiment

I am almost done with everything I need but I was wondering. I've read that it takes approximately 25 Newtons of force to break an eggshell...But unless I did the math wrong (I probably did the math wrong) my project got 7 Newtons of force when we did the egg drop (It didn't break but even so, to me this number seemed, scarily low) I'm not that familiar with Newton's and I was just wondering, Is dropping an egg (with protection) and getting an answer of only 6 Newtons of force produced, logical in any way shape or form...or have I just failed me and my group?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This was our work:

v= 3m / 0.66 s

|

\/

v= 4.55 m/s
a= Δv/Δt or a= (vf-vi)/(tf-ti)vf= 4.55 m/s

vi=0 m/s

tf= 0.66 seconds

ti= 0 secondsa= (vf-vi)/(tf-ti)

|

\/

a=(4.55-0)/(0.66-0)

|

\/

a=4.55/0.66

|

\/

a= 6.89 m/s^2

Mass of Average Egg: 0.057 kg

Mass of Parcel: 0.90 kg

Combined Mass: 0.957 kgVelocity: 4.55 m/s

ΔV: 4.55 m/s

ΔT: 0.66 s

Acceleration: 6.89 m/s^2

Mass: 0.957 kg

ΣF: 6.59 Np=mvΔp=m*Δv → Δp=(0.957)*(4.55) Δv=a*Δt → Δv= (6.89)*(0.66)Δp=m*a*Δt m*a=ΣFΔp=ΣF*Δt → Δp= (6.59)*(0.66)Δp= 4.35 kg*m/s

also since this is for a grade please don't give me answers since I don't do plagiarism and this is my work and I want to keep it as authentic as possible.I just want to know If my numbers are within reasonable range

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you talk us through your working...
Yellowkies_3275 said:
v= 3m / 0.66 s
|
\/
v= 4.55 m/s

Are you saying the egg took 0.66 seconds to fall 3m?

Likes Yellowkies_3275
CWatters said:
Can you talk us through your working...Are you saying the egg took 0.66 seconds to fall 3m?
yes... i timed it and every time that was around the number i got, plus we got it on video and on video it didnt take more than a second either

Yellowkies_3275 said:
yes... i timed it and every time that was around the number i got, plus we got it on video and on video it didnt take more than a second either
Eggs do not normally break while they are falling. They break while they are stopping.

Yellowkies_3275 said:
Ok but you can't calculate the impact velocity like that because the egg is accelerating not falling at a constant velocity. You need to use the equations of motion or SUVAT equations.

I'm away from my PC but If I remember correctly the final velocity I calculated was around 6 or 7 m/s.

Likes Yellowkies_3275
CWatters said:
Ok but you can't calculate the impact velocity like that because the egg is accelerating not falling at a constant velocity. You need to use the equations of motion or SUVAT equations.

I'm away from my PC but If I remember correctly the final velocity I calculated was around 6 or 7 m/s.
does delta v= a*t work?

Yellowkies_3275 said:
does delta v= a*t work?
Yes, roughly speaking. However, it is only a rough approximation if the "a" is not constant. What "t" did you have in mind?

Likes Yellowkies_3275
Yellowkies_3275 said:
does delta v= a*t work?
Yes it would.

However I'm suspicious of the time you measured because it seems too quick. There is another equation that allows you to calculate the time that it should take to fall 3m knowing the acceleration.

If short of time use the value for time you measured. Otherwise perhaps look at the other equations of motion or SUVAT equation to calculate the time. Perhaps do both?

Likes Yellowkies_3275

What is the purpose of the egg-drop experiment?

The purpose of the egg-drop experiment is to demonstrate the concept of forces and how they affect objects in motion. Specifically, the experiment aims to show how different forces can impact the strength and durability of an egg, and how different materials can be used to protect the egg from breaking.

What is the significance of using 25 Newtons as the force in the experiment?

The use of 25 Newtons as the force in the experiment is based on the average weight of an adult human hand. This allows for a more relatable and tangible understanding of the force and its impact on the egg.

What are the main forces involved in the egg-drop experiment?

The main forces involved in the egg-drop experiment are gravity, air resistance, and impact force. Gravity pulls the egg towards the ground, while air resistance works against the egg’s motion as it falls through the air. The impact force is the force that the egg experiences upon hitting the ground or surface.

What materials are commonly used to protect the egg in the experiment?

Common materials used to protect the egg in the experiment include bubble wrap, cotton balls, paper towels, and soft foam. These materials are chosen because they can absorb and distribute the force of impact, reducing the amount of force that the egg experiences.

How can the results of the egg-drop experiment be used in real-life applications?

The results of the egg-drop experiment can be applied to real-life situations, such as designing protective gear for athletes or packaging fragile items for shipping. By understanding the forces involved in the experiment and how different materials can affect the strength and durability of an object, we can make more informed decisions in designing and creating products that can withstand impact and other forces.