Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Buoyancy of ship, volume displaced, and tension of crane (in/out) of water

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    A crane lifts the 18,000kg steel hull of a ship out of the water.
    The density of steel is known to be 7.8 x 103 kg/m3, while that of water is 1000 kg/m3.

A) While the steel hull is fully submerged in the water, what is the volume of water displaced by the hull? I really have no idea how to work this problem out.

Buoyancy = m* density * V displaced * G
    m=pv

B) What is the tension in the crane's cable when the hull is fully submerged?
    I believe this one is related to A

Density * Volume * G = F m=(density) Volume
    1000* 18000/10 *10

f=1.8 x 107

C) What is the tension in the crane's cable when the hull is out of the water?

Ft= mg
    Ft = 18,000 * 10 (class standard)
    Ft= 180,000N

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2
    If you have the mass of the material and its density, can't you find its volume? That volume displace the same volume of water.

4. Dec 16, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Only if the hull fills with water. If it does not, it displaces far more water than its own volume.

The question seems a bit tricky. It talks about a fully-submerged the hull, which, to me, strongly suggests that the hull has filled with water (unless it's a watertight submarine hull I suppose :tongue2:).

So, I guess you're right. They're simply talking about the volume of the steel itself, not any kind of bouyant hull-shape.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook