Tension in and out of water in constant velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
pearson.hannah
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
A crane lifts the 18,000-kg steel hull of a ship out of the water at constant velocity.

(A) Determine the tension in the crane’s cable when the hull is submerged in the water.


(B) Find the tension when the hull is completely out of the water.

I would have thought that B would just be the weight, but apparently that was wrong. And how do you find the amount of water displaced when the hull is submerged? I was thinking maybe A is the weight minus the displacement?

Thanks in advance for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to B looks right to me. What's your reason for saying it's wrong?
I agree with your answer to A too.