Buoyant Forces and Archimedes' Principle

In summary, a 62.0-kg survivor of a cruise line disaster rests atop a block of Styrofoam insulation, using it as a raft. The Styrofoam has dimensions 2.00 m X 2.00 m X 0.0900 m. The bottom 0.024 m of the raft is submerged. a) Draw a free-body diagram of the system consisting of the survivor and raft. b) Write Newton's second law for the system in one dimension. (Use B for buoyancy, w for the weight of the survivor, and wr for the weight of the raft. Set a = 0.) c) Calculate the numeric value for B. (Seawater density = 1025 kg/m
science.girl

Homework Statement

A 62.0-kg survivor of a cruise line disaster rests atop a block of Styrofoam insulation, using it as a raft. The Styrofoam has dimensions 2.00 m X 2.00 m X 0.0900 m. The bottom 0.024 m of the raft is submerged.

a) Draw a free-body diagram of the system consisting of the survivor and raft.

b) Write Newton's second law for the system in one dimension. (Use B for buoyancy, w for the weight of the survivor, and wr for the weight of the raft. Set a = 0.)

c) Calculate the numeric value for B. (Seawater density = 1025 kg/m3)

d) Calculate weight wr of the Styrofoam.

e) What is the density of the Styrofoam?

f) What is the maximum buoyant force, corresponding to the raft being submerged up to its top surface?

g) What total mass of the survivors can the raft support?

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\frac{M}{V}[/tex]

P = [tex]\frac{F}{A}[/tex]

V = lwh

P = P0 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh

[tex]\frac{\rhoobj}{\rhofluid}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Vfluid}{Vobj}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I have a free-body diagram including:
  • Force of Gravity (downwards)
  • Buoyancy (upwards)

Must I include the Normal force as well?

b) I have:
B = (w + wr) = 0
B = w + wr = mg + mrg

B = mwaterg = [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg = [tex]\rho[/tex]lwhg
Vraft = (0.024 m)(2.00 m)(2.00 m) = 0.096 m^3

g(m + mr) = [tex]\rho[/tex]waterVraftg

The g's cancel.

c) 62 kg + mraft = (1025 kg/m^3)(0.096 m^3)
mraft = 36.4 kg

But based on my equations, 98.4 would also equal the buoyancy. I think there's an error in my attempt to write Newton's second law for the system in (b).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
science.girl said:
c) 62 kg + mraft = (1025 kg/m^3)(0.096 m^3)
mraft = 98.4 kg

But based on my equations, 98.4 would also equal the buoyancy. I think there's an error in my attempt to write Newton's second law for the system in (b).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I think you want to recheck your math here.

LowlyPion said:
I think you want to recheck your math here.

I'm sorry -- that was a typo. I have corrected the math portion of the equation, but I'm still not sure if I'm going about this problem correctly.

science.girl said:
I'm sorry -- that was a typo. I have corrected the math portion of the equation, but I'm still not sure if I'm going about this problem correctly.

You know the mass of the raft then. And you know its volume from the total thickness, so you should be able to figure both the density and the total potential water displacement to determine the total buoyancy available.

LowlyPion said:
You know the mass of the raft then. And you know its volume from the total thickness, so you should be able to figure both the density and the total potential water displacement to determine the total buoyancy available.

Actually, I figured out a-f. Now I just need help with g.

a) Buoyant force up, gravity down
b) B = wr + w
c) B = [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg = 964.32 N
d) B = wr + w
964.32 N = wr + 607.6 N
wr = 356.72 N

e) [tex]\rho[/tex] = M/V = 95.9 kg/m^3

f) B = [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg = 338.3 N

g) The total mass of survivors the raft can support...
Thoughts: Weight of each survivor = mg. This, plus the weight of the raft counters the maximum buoyant force, calculated in f, right? So, (weight of survivors) + (weight of raft) = Maximum buoyant force?

science.girl said:
Actually, I figured out a-f. Now I just need help with g.

g) The total mass of survivors the raft can support...
Thoughts: Weight of each survivor = mg. This, plus the weight of the raft counters the maximum buoyant force, calculated in f, right? So, (weight of survivors) + (weight of raft) = Maximum buoyant force?

That's correct. Think of buoyancy as your credit limit. The maximum amount of water the total volume of the raft can displace. You necessarily start out with the mass of the raft. Then to that you can add people to the raft until you have reached the credit limit - the total amount of water displaced by the raft. When you exceed the limit then you are going to need a bailout.

LowlyPion said:
That's correct. Think of buoyancy as your credit limit. You necessarily start out with the mass of the raft. Then to that you can add people to the raft until you have reached the credit limit. When you exceed the limit then you are going to need a bailout.

Thank you...

by the way, love the analogy!

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object submerged in a fluid (such as water or air). It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle helps explain why certain objects float and others sink.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy because it determines how much fluid the object will displace. Objects with a larger volume and a lower density will have greater buoyancy, while objects with a smaller volume and a higher density will have less buoyancy.

4. Can an object sink in a fluid with a lower density?

Yes, an object can sink in a fluid with a lower density. This is because the object's density may still be greater than the fluid's density, and therefore it will not displace enough fluid to have a greater buoyant force than its weight.

5. How does depth affect buoyancy?

The depth of a fluid can affect buoyancy because the pressure at greater depths increases, causing the fluid to become more dense. This can affect the buoyant force on an object, and therefore its ability to float or sink.