Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush planning air strikes on Iran?

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1

turbo

Gold Member

According to Arianna Huffington, Wes Clark is quite angry and believes that US air strikes against Iran's nuclear facilities are all but a done deal with zero diplomatic effort on the part of the administration.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20070104/cm_huffpost/037837

Clark should run for President in 2008. Bush's complete mishandling of the US military leaves his successor with a terrible mess, and it would be an advantage to have someone with Clark's expertise to sort it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2
    Who is Wes Clark?

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Clark

Presdential candidate in 2004 elections, and former Supreme Allied Commander Europe of NATO from 1997 to 2000 (under Clinton), who commanded Operation Allied Force in the Kosovo War in 1999.

I would prefer a more objective source. Hopefully Bush would inform Congress before ordering the US military to attack another nation. IIRC, Congress only authorized use of force against Iraq. Somehow I don't see Congress giving the president blanket authorization to attack any country, but I am sure Bush thinks he has such power.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  5. Jan 5, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to the article:

Reading the op-ed by Borchgrave :
    Doesn't sound like a done-deal at all. In fact, it gives the impression that the deal may at least as likely be made with the Dems.

6. Jan 5, 2007 #5
    It doesn't surprise me that the suggestion to launch air strikes on Iran's nuclear facilities is on the tables and is getting more and more media attention. To my knowledge, it is not like similar use of this tactic hasn't happened before and is as a result, a well known (although highly controversial) tactic. Although in the (first) Gulf war it was the military and civil infrastructure in Iraq1.

1 "Gulf War." The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Columbia University Press., 2003.

7. Jan 5, 2007 #6
    I'm sure Bush would love to strike Iran, but he no longer has the political clout to pull it off.

8. Jan 5, 2007 #7

russ_watters

I'm not sure I understand the reference to the Iraq war - the test case for this is Israel's destruction of Iraq's Osirak facility in 1981. Bush only wishes he had the stones to do that (though to be fair, the political situations are quite different).

9. Jan 5, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Neither Obama nor Clinton can carry the South. If either of them were the Democratic candidate, a Republican successor to Bush would be guaranteed. Wes Clark and a few other select Dems might pull it off, but the "Bubba" backlash make Obama and Clinton non-starters.

10. Jan 5, 2007 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's quite well known that Cheney has had his sights set on Iran for several months now - but I've yet to see something that says this is a done deal (not implying it couldn't be). Recall the news that broke in the summer of 2005 about gaming a tactical nuclear attack on Iranian sites in "response" to any terrorist attack in the US.

Here's an excerpt from the original article in Philip Giraldi's* column in the American Conservative :

http://www.amconmag.com/2005_08_01/article3.html

*Philip Giraldi is a former CIA operations officer of 17 years experience, specializing in counter-terrorism. He served in Europe and the Middle East.

11. Jan 5, 2007 #10
    This is not good at all. If the U.S. strikes Iran I expect a counterattack. Plus lets not forget North Korea. This is not good at all.

12. Jan 6, 2007 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Blanket authority to wage a war against any country in the world is about the only thing Congress refrained from giving Bush back in the fall of 2002. That's something that's a problem for quite a few Senators that lacked the courage to vote against that resolution (at least, given what they said about the bill they were voting for, it's hard to imagine any other reason for their vote).

Regardless, Bush has the authority to respond to any situation with military force. He just doesn't have the authority to declare war.

In other words, he can respond, on a short term basis, to any situation very rapidly. He supposedly can't commit us to a prolonged conflict, although it's debatable whether or not he can circumvent that by just not calling a prolonged conflict a war.

A short, heavy barrage of air strikes would definitely be within his authority. His ability to respond to Iran's response would be dependent on how Congress felt about the air strikes and Iran's response. My guess is that Iran's response would be to openly send troops into Iraq and to attempt to shut down the Strait of Hormuz. I think given a choice between apologizing to Iran and giving in to whatever recompense they desire or supporting military action to reopen the Strait and defend Iraq, Congress would fall in line behind the President.

About the strongest hint that Congress might revoke Bush's authority for the Iraq campaign came from the Republican Senator John Warner. Others have also brought up the subject of withholding funding for the Iraq campaing (Kucinich, for example), but I don't think it's very likely that Congress will do anything to get us out of Iraq. If they did, air strikes against Iran would probably be the quickest way to head Congress off at the pass.

13. Jan 6, 2007 #12
    Whether or not Bush is planning on striking Iran is something I don't know.

However, according to The Times, Isreal is planning on doing just that.

I kind of find it ironic. They want to stop one country from getting nukes by using nukes!

14. Jan 6, 2007 #13
    The repercussions for such a strike could ignite World War III.

15. Jan 6, 2007 #14
    http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003133.html

16. Jan 7, 2007 #15

Astronuc

Yeah, but the US went to war with Iraq - so the Declaration of War is irrelevant. The US went to war in Vietnam - also without a Declaration of War. Remember the Gulf of Tonkin Incident - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_Incident

Any attack against Iran by US or Israel will invite retaliation. Certainly Iran has a legitiate right to defend itself - as does any nation. At the moment, the US is being the primary aggressor in the world - despites its condemnation of terrorism/agression by other nations. One can't get more hypocritical than that.

17. Jan 7, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I just love how our government spreads "peace" and "democracy" via invasions and killings. What puzzles me is how the recipients of our military attacks seem so ungrateful. :devil:

Bush should not attack Iran under any circumstances. If Israel feels threatened by Iran, they should attack Iran themselves and suffer the consequences, not use the US as their proxy. If the US attacks Iran, we will have to commit to suppressing the inevitable backlash and the entire world will suffer from higher fuel prices as oil production is disrupted. The hawks in Israel know this - the problem is that Bush is either too stupid to see the trap, or he WANTS us in that trap. Either situation is scary. He and Cheney should be impeached for the good of the country. President Pelosi couldn't screw up as badly as that pair of idiots.

18. Jan 7, 2007 #17
    Naturally, one can apply the label of "hypocrite" to a government only if it has principles to begin with.

19. Jan 7, 2007 #18
    It USED to have principles. The keywords being "used to".

20. Jan 7, 2007 #19

russ_watters

You said something like this in your other thread. But how? Who would be fighting against whom and why?

Would China start lobbing nukes at the US because Israel attacked Iran? Why would they do that?

21. Jan 7, 2007 #20

russ_watters

Not quite irrelevant. Congress is right now threatening to pull funding from the Iraq conflict. A declaration of war is irrelevant if you have Congress in your pocket, but Bush doesn't anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?