Is there a standard calculation for interference fit bushings on aluminum tubes?

In summary, bushes are cylindrical or conical components used to reduce friction between moving parts. An interference fit is a tight connection between two cylindrical parts, achieved by one part being slightly larger than the other. Using bushes with an interference fit has advantages such as reducing wear and cost. Common materials for making bushes include bronze, brass, steel, and plastic. They are installed by pressing or hammering them into the hole of the mating part. Specialized tools may be used for a secure fit.
bobs55
Hi. I have aluminium tube (Alloy 6063T6 ) 1 1/2 inch outside diameter 1/4wt. I need to turn inside of this tube to take a 30mm outside diameter suspension bush interference fit . Is there a standard calculation for the diameter of 'receiving' holes for interference fit bushes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check your Machinery's Handbook. Many pages of standard tables.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a mechanical engineer so I did not know the Machinery's Handbook even existed! I have ordered a used one as well as a guide to using it.
Cheers,
Bob

What are bushes?

Bushes, also known as bushings, are cylindrical or conical metal or plastic components that are used to reduce friction and wear between two moving parts in a machine.

What is an interference fit?

An interference fit is a type of fit between two cylindrical parts, where the outer diameter of one part is slightly larger than the inner diameter of the other part. This creates a tight, press-fit connection between the two parts, eliminating the need for additional fasteners.

What are the advantages of using bushes with an interference fit?

Using bushes with an interference fit helps to reduce friction and wear between the two parts, leading to increased durability and longevity of the machine. It also eliminates the need for additional fasteners, reducing the overall complexity and cost of the machine.

What materials are commonly used to make bushes?

The most commonly used materials for making bushes are bronze, brass, steel, and plastic. The specific material used depends on the application and the required properties, such as strength, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance.

How are bushes with an interference fit installed?

Bushes with an interference fit are typically installed by pressing or hammering them into the hole of the mating part. Specialized tools, such as hydraulic or mechanical presses, may be used to ensure a proper and secure fit.