Water cooler radiator with unusual air flow direction

pozsar
TL;DR Summary
searching for pre manufactured radiator suitable for airflow from the 'side surface'
Hi everyone!

I'm doing a DIY project in which I have to use air cooling to regulate water temperatures of max 90°C. I want to use some cheap (possibly even used) pre-manufactured radiator to do the job for me (since I'm unable to make finned pipes with tight enough fittings to provide sufficient heat conduction between the tube and sheets), but I have environment constraints that make it impossible to channel the air through the largest surface like automotive radiators do (pic 1). I have to direct air through the 'side surface' (pic 2). I simply need long parallel aluminum sheets with tubes going through them. The dimensions of the radiator are planned to be roughly 50x500x700mm and the inner diameter of the tube should be ~10mm. I have been searching through the internet for days, but I'm not happy with my results. The best match at the moment is some oil cooler radiator which I find unnecessarily high in quality for my application (pic 3).
How can I find a radiator that is suitable for this? In what field do they use such radiators?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 29
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a 25 mm thick heat exchanger and mount it at an angle similar to the heat exchanger I built for heating my shop as shown in the photo below. The photo does not show the spreader vanes inside the transition piece between the blower and the heat exchanger plenum. Look for automotive heat exchangers - radiators, air conditioner condenser heat exchangers, oil coolers, or possibly heater cores.

Heat Exchanger.jpg

Likes pozsar, dlgoff and berkeman
Welcome to PF.

Consider a bare 10 mm tube, without fins, folded back and forth across the airflow many times. Place the tube in a zig-zag-ing across the airflow, from the outlet of the air to the inlet, as a counterflow heat exchanger.

Now consider doing the same with finned tube, designed for use as a heat exchanger in an air compressor or a refrigerator. If the bend radius is too tight, use separate 180° elbows on either side.

It could be bent from a single tube, as a two layer structure, like a helix, flattened, skewed and staggered, to fit in the rectangular box.

Likes pozsar and Tom.G
Welcome, @pozsar !

I hope that you are aware of the air cooling effect being quickly reduced downstream.
What is moving the air?

1. What is a water cooler radiator with unusual air flow direction?

A water cooler radiator with unusual air flow direction refers to a cooling system component, typically used in computers or engines, where the direction of air flow through the radiator is different from the standard. Normally, air flows from the front to the back or from bottom to top, but in these systems, it might flow from side to side or in a diagonal pattern to optimize cooling efficiency in constrained spaces or to achieve better cooling performance.

2. How does an unusual air flow direction benefit a cooling system?

Unusual air flow directions can benefit a cooling system by enhancing the heat dissipation from the radiator. This can be particularly useful in tight spaces where traditional air flow patterns are not effective. By optimizing the air flow direction, these systems can improve thermal efficiency, reduce hotspots, and potentially lower the overall operating temperature of the system, leading to improved performance and longevity of the components.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using a radiator with an unusual air flow direction?

While there are benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to using radiators with unusual air flow directions. These can include increased complexity in system design, potential for increased noise levels due to turbulence, and challenges with integrating such a system into standard setups. Additionally, if not properly designed, these systems can lead to uneven cooling, resulting in inefficiencies or damage to parts of the system that are not adequately cooled.

4. Can any system use a water cooler radiator with an unusual air flow direction?

Not all systems can effectively use a water cooler radiator with an unusual air flow direction. It largely depends on the specific requirements and constraints of the system, such as space availability, existing airflow dynamics, and compatibility with other cooling components. It is essential to evaluate the overall design and thermal needs of the system before opting for such a radiator to ensure it contributes positively to the cooling efficiency without causing other issues.

5. How do I determine if my system could benefit from an unusual air flow direction in its radiator?

To determine if your system could benefit from an unusual air flow direction in its radiator, you should consider several factors. These include the current thermal performance of your system, the physical space constraints, the orientation and placement of other components, and the overall cooling strategy. Consulting with a thermal engineer or a cooling system expert can provide insights based on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations and thermal analysis to make an informed decision.