Not to deflect this thread, and maybe it should become a new one addressing my question which is: has there been any instance in the past 100 years where we supported a gov't that was socialist or communist? By supported I do not mean providing financial aid or other inducements? I mean simply engaging in reasonable negotiations without threat of force, like you might with a neighbor across the fence in the backyard. Heaven help me, i don't see it. I remember the SALT talks with USSR, which might remotely fall under this definition. Help me, because I have seen neither a peace dividend nor a more stable world after USSR ceased to be the bad guy. Hell now the French and Germans are bad guys because they don't completely accept our positions on foreign policy. Proliferation via Packistan has made the world more dangerous. Now they are a friend with even greater exchange of technology in the offing.
The Irani's are now trumpeting their 300 centrifuges to produce "energy".
Where did we go wrong?