Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Buying a beginner pair of binoculars

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    I'm a freshman in high school and was thinking of buying a beginner pair of binoculars. Could someone suggest one I might buy?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Planning to buy a first telescope?

Celestron's 10x50s are pretty nice for the price, and they are often on sale at larger dealers. I think I paid less than $30 for mine at Ocean Pacific, and there was a green laser pointer and a red LED chart-light in the bundle. I bought them so I'd have an extra pair of binoculars in my vehicle for quick looks at birds, etc, and I don't want to leave my Nikons in the vehicle.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3

I recommend any Orion binocs. I have had some trouble with Celestron binoculars recently. The insides were not coated, and I would get horrible glare, making them completely useless. The Orions have had some problems with being properly collimated, but their customer service is fantastic, and they will get them sorted out for you in no time.

The Orion Giantview series is probably my favourite. A reasonable price, and plenty of aperture to catch all sorts of faint stars! You can get lost out there with these.

5. Jul 1, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks for going GOLD Kalam! I have a pair of 10x50 Celestrons that are pretty good, though my go-to's are an older pair of Nikon 7x50s. Nobody should venture out into the night without a decent pair of binoculars, even if you have a nice 'scope. Mine are always with me.

I have a 6" APO refractor and an 80mm APO finder/guide scope, but I always have the Nikons at hand when I go out to observe. Using both eyes is much more natural to people new to observational astronomy, so decent binoculars and charts can advance their knowledge of the night sky lots faster than GOTO mounts, scopes, etc ever could.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook