Purchasing binoculars for stargazing advice

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stargazing
In summary, I want to buy some binoculars, but since I'm new to this thought I'd ask for some advice. I've found a few candidates on amazon, what do you reckon?The three Amazon options that the poster has found are all good options for binoculars for daytime viewing, but for nighttime viewing, the Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX Polaris are the best option. The Orion 11x80mm binoculars are also a good option for nighttime viewing, but they are more expensive than the Fujinon.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I want to buy some binoculars, but since I'm new to this thought I'd ask for some advice. I've found a few candidates on amazon, what do you reckon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7LQ9QU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3QH60E/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Then these are really cheap (but maybe for a reason..): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZN4TZS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Does anyone have some advice? Are any of these any good, or do you have some other recommendations for a first pair?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It depends on your intended use. For daytime land use any of those might do. For nighttime viewing of stars and the like, specs become much more critical.

aabottom said:
It depends on your intended use. For daytime land use any of those might do. For nighttime viewing of stars and the like, specs become much more critical.
I should have been more specific - I'm after an pair to view the stars and the night sky, not anything serious, just a pair I can carry around (so they need to be relatively compact). Those you mentioned look huge, and I'm not sure I'm keen on burning out my eyes!

One rule of thumb is that, for nighttime viewing, the ratio of (aperture in mm) / magnification should be approximately 7mm. If this is the case, the exit beam of the binoculars will fill your night-adapted pupil, which is about 7mm in diameter. This allows you to see the faintest possible objects. Given this, the larger the aperture, the fainter the object you can see, but as the aperture gets larger, the binoculars get larger and heavier. 7x50mm binoculars are considered an ideal first set of astronomical binoculars. I have a set of 11x80mm Orion binoculars which give excellent images of the night sky, although the power of 11 makes them a challenge to hold steady. I can see Jupiter's moons easily, and low surface brightness objects like the Andromeda galaxy are also easy to see.

Likes cristo
phyzguy said:
One rule of thumb is that, for nighttime viewing, the ratio of (aperture in mm) / magnification should be approximately 7mm. If this is the case, the exit beam of the binoculars will fill your night-adapted pupil, which is about 7mm in diameter. This allows you to see the faintest possible objects. Given this, the larger the aperture, the fainter the object you can see, but as the aperture gets larger, the binoculars get larger and heavier. 7x50mm binoculars are considered an ideal first set of astronomical binoculars. I have a set of 11x80mm Orion binoculars which give excellent images of the night sky, although the power of 11 makes them a challenge to hold steady. I can see Jupiter's moons easily, and low surface brightness objects like the Andromeda galaxy are also easy to see.
Thanks, I think I'll go for one of the 7x50's above, then (the Nikon's are mentioned in the article that Greg links to, and that you have a pair of Orion makes me think either will be a decent purchase as a first pair).

And sorry for the non-descriptive thread title, @Greg Bernhardt !

Good choice, you can't go wrong with a good pair of 7x50s and you'll keep using it for a long time after you've bought tons of other equipment. Great for scanning the milky way, easy to hand hold. Enjoy your stargazing!

Likes cristo
Don't take me too seriously about burning your eye on the full moon with the Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX Polaris. It is bright though, and take some getting used to the experience- a most beautiful view of the moon. You can almost see depth in the Moon's mountains. And the shadows really pop out.

I might have to pick up a pair of the 7x50, the Nikon perhaps. Your right, sometimes the 10x70s are just too big. I might use 7x50s more often.

Let us know what you get and what you think of them.

The advantage of 7x50 is that they are lightweight and versatile - pick them up on a whim and look at birds or stars or whatever. 10x70s can be great (no doubt about that regarding the Fujinon) and surely not a purchase you'd regret - but they're bigger and more or less require some tripod or monopod to be used comfortably : to me, more a second pair than a first.
But either is fine really - just avoid the cheap $30 ones unless your budget is really tight - they may well be serviceable enough but very roughly $100 seems to be where you start getting good stuff. After that there's no limit! But you don't need a Ferrari to get a good drive.

Last edited:
Likes cristo
I have had the Celestron Skymaster 12x60 binos for 7 or 8 years. Their reputation for warranty is good but I have heard it can be a bit of a crap shoot on initial quality. I was lucky enough as mine were fine out of the box. But I did read some people have collimation issues and have to make a warraty claim.

The 12x60s are at my limit for hand holding (I lean against a wall to steady myself or lie on my back) and they came with a tripod adapter. The new 12x60s have the adapter as an extra cost option.
The moon looks great and I can easily see Jupiters Galilean moons as well as a faint view of Andromeda. Saturns rings are visible but look like a smudge.

Maximum night adapted pupil diameter shrinks as people get older so you may not benefit as much from a larger "exit pupil". (I'm not saying you are old but you have been around PF for a while.)

Likes cristo
montoyas7940 said:
Maximum night adapted pupil diameter shrinks as people get older so you may not benefit as much from a larger "exit pupil". (I'm not saying you are old but you have been around PF for a while.)

I didn't know this! How rapidly does the pupil diameter shrink? I'm 30 (so I'll let you decide whether that's old or not!) - do you think I'd still benefit from the larger exit pupil?

cristo said:
I didn't know this! How rapidly does the pupil diameter shrink? I'm 30

I'm sure it is varied by individual. But IIRC it is about 8mm in children down to about 4mm in the elderly.

Hey! google says: Looks like you are still good to go.

pupil_size_chart(Mar2011).jpg

Likes cristo
Thanks for looking this up- very interesting chart. But it look like "it needs more research and more study participants", so says every scientist.

True, and remember that most "scientists" aren't astronomers. Simply placing a participant in a dark room and measuring their pupil diameters after a short time is a really poor approximation, at best. Amateur astronomers can shoot this chart down with ease. It takes me at least 20-30 minutes for my eyes do become dark-adapted enough so that I can get good performance from my scopes. Did the people who compiled the chart invest at least 30 minutes in the dark plus testing on each participant? I doubt it. "Scientific" studies should not be conducted on humans by people with no real experience in physiology. Such studies are unethical, and can result in harm.

JC Bradley, lead author of the study referenced by montoyas, is a licensed ophthalmologist, so it appears safe to assume he has credentialed expertise in ocular physiology. The study did not require 30 minutes of dark adaptation time [more like one minute], hence, also safe to presume no conclusions regarding potential night vision acuity were suggested. I agree that renders it of questionable relevance to this discussion.

What factors should I consider when purchasing binoculars for stargazing?

When purchasing binoculars for stargazing, there are several factors to consider. First, you should consider the aperture or the size of the objective lens. The larger the aperture, the more light the binoculars can gather, resulting in brighter and clearer images. Second, consider the magnification power. Higher magnification may seem appealing, but it can also make the image shakier and harder to focus. Third, check the field of view. A wider field of view allows you to see more of the night sky. Finally, consider the weight and size of the binoculars. Stargazing often involves spending long periods looking through the binoculars, so you want to make sure they are comfortable to hold for extended periods.

Can I use any type of binoculars for stargazing?

While any type of binoculars can technically be used for stargazing, not all binoculars are suitable for this purpose. Look for binoculars specifically designed for stargazing, as they often have larger apertures, higher magnification power, and better optics for viewing the night sky. Regular binoculars designed for activities like birdwatching may not provide the same level of clarity and detail when viewing stars and planets.

Do I need to spend a lot of money on binoculars for stargazing?

The price of binoculars for stargazing can vary greatly, and it ultimately depends on your budget and personal preferences. While higher-end binoculars may offer better optics and features, there are also affordable options that can still provide good views of the night sky. It's important to do your research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure you are getting the best value for your money.

Are there any additional accessories I need when purchasing binoculars for stargazing?

While not necessary, there are a few accessories that can enhance your stargazing experience with binoculars. A tripod or mount can help stabilize the binoculars and reduce shakiness. A red light flashlight can also be useful for preserving your night vision while using the binoculars. Additionally, you may want to consider purchasing a star chart or astronomy app to help you identify and locate celestial objects in the night sky.

Can I use binoculars for stargazing in any weather conditions?

While binoculars can be used in various weather conditions, certain factors can affect their performance. For example, fog, clouds, and light pollution can all make it difficult to see stars and planets clearly. Additionally, extreme temperatures can cause the optics to fog up or freeze, making it challenging to use the binoculars. It's best to use binoculars for stargazing on clear and calm nights for optimal viewing conditions.