Any suggestions for a good set of binoculars around $30?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter itsthemac
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set Suggestions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
itsthemac
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Also, is there something to look for in particular when you're buying binoculars for stargazing?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
For me the particular something is stability control. I've no idea about the price range; eBay may be worth looking at.
 
You want optical quality, ease of use, and aperature - in that order. I doubt you will find anything new that satisfies all these needs for less than $30 new. Try ebay, some very nice zeiss and bushnell's [two of my favorites] are often listed there. You will not be disapointed with either.
 
Some decent 10x50s are usually easy to find. Watch out for the exit pupil though, some of them are bizarrely over-sized.
 
Ocean Pacific carries lots of binoculars in the $30 and under price range. I bought a pair of the 10x50s to keep in my Subaru for quick looks. I don't want to leave my Nikons in a vehicle unattended, but a pair of $25 binos...OK. BTW, the quality is much better than you might expect for the price point.

http://www.optcorp.com/productList.aspx?uid=&pg=2&kw=binoculars&st=2
 
Last edited by a moderator: