By how much does the speed change each second?

In summary: I apologize for not being more helpful. :frown:In summary, a vehicle with an acceleration of 3 km/h2 is moving in a straight line. The speed changes each second and the answer should be given in units of km/h. It is necessary to use equations relating speed and acceleration, such as change in speed over change in time to equal velocity, average speed, instantaneous speed, or displacement. In a separate problem, a person passes a 241km marker, passes 172km marker, and hits a 148km marker. The person then backtracks to the 172km marker. The resultant displacement is the overall change
kremit

Homework Statement

A vehicle moves in a straight line with an
acceleration of 3 km/h2.
By how much does the speed change each
second?
Answer in units of km/h.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

sqrt 3 to get a base answer then divide by 3600
I have also tried doing the problem directly. 3 divided by 36002 . Gives me a large number I am unsure is correct.

But when i don't get it right i start guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi kremit! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

What equations do you know relating speed and acceleration? :smile:

i have a change in speed over a change in time to equal velocity. I also have an average and instantaneous speed too. I also fixed the ^2 to the correct super script. I think that is what that is called. lol

It's strange though. There is no other figures, that could be why I am stuck.

Last edited:
Hi kremit! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
kremit said:
A vehicle moves in a straight line with an
acceleration of 3 km/h2.
By how much does the speed change each
second?
kremit said:
i have a change in speed over a change in time to equal velocity. I also have an average and instantaneous speed too.

No, change in distance over change in time equals velocity (∆x/∆t = v).

ok, that doesn't help here, so …

do you have a similar equation that includes acceleration? :smile:
I also fixed the ^2 to the correct super script. I think that is what that is called. lol

Yeah! Super! :biggrin:

Why must this be so hard for me. I don't understand that.

I looked in my book,on the web, and not making sense of what a "resultant displacement" is.

The problem to this is simple.

Guy passes a 241km marker, passes 172km marker, and hits a 148km marker. he then backtracks to the 172km marker. What is the resultant displacement

(are you ok on the previous question?)

Displacement means total change in position.

For example, if you go half-way round a circle of radius r, then you have gone a distance (or arc-length) of πr, but your displacement is only 2r.

And if you go all the way round a circle of radius r, then you have gone a distance (or arc-length) of 2πr, but your displacement is zero! :smile:

(and "resultant" always simply means "overall", you take everything into account, and then calculate the displacement :wink:)

So what is the overall displacement in this case?​

A change in total position. Wonder why they couldn't say that? :redface:

Guy passes a 241km marker, passes 172km marker, and hits a 148km marker. he then backtracks to the 172km marker

He went the entire distance of

93km from 241km -> 148km
69km from 241km -> 172km
24km from 172km -> 148km

93km - 24km ?
93km + 24km?

I doubt it's that simple, but he traveled the whole distance and came back.

I like how our lab or lecture has nothing to do with our homework. Then must rely on others or tutors to teach me equations. :uhh:

Where did he start from? The 241 km marker? :confused:

If so, just follow the definition … total displacement is |241 - 172|.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is the change in speed or direction of motion per unit of time.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. It can also be measured in other units such as kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) or miles per hour squared (mph²).

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion, while acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is going, while acceleration tells us how much an object's speed is changing.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either speed up or slow down an object's motion, depending on the direction of the acceleration. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up the object. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will slow down the object.