1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C: warning assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast

1. Sep 13, 2013 #1
    C: "warning assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast"

1. I am trying to assign a color to the variable choice if it is equal to one of the 3 input numbers.

Code (Text):

if(pred==1) {
            choice = "RED";
            }
        else if(pred==2) {
                choice = "GREEN";
            }
        else if(pred==3) {
                choice = "BLUE";
                }

I have already initilized choice as a character variable and pred as an integer variable. I am not sure what I am missing but I keep getting the error "warning assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"RED" is not a character variable - it is a string. The pointer conversion is from the string pointer.

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

choice should be defined as:

char *choice;

if you used "char choice;" then C thinks of char as an 8-bit integer.

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That should be const char* choice, not just char* choice.

Assigning to a pointer to a string such as "RED" is illegal (undefined behavior), so it's best to make the pointer a type that does not accept assignments.

6. Sep 13, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

Doesn't this depend on what he's trying to do?

Suppose this choice is in some sort of input loop where first its RED and then its BLUE ...

7. Sep 13, 2013 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The 'const char* choice' also tells the compiler that the 'data' at locations RED, BLUE, etc ... pointed to by 'choice' will not change so it can possibility optimize operations or memory storage using those locations.

EDIT: Looking at the C/C++ styles just to double check myself:
    const char* == char const *

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. Sep 13, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's nothing wrong with that. const char * choice (or char const * choice, same thing) means that choice can be used on the left hand side of an assignment statement but that choice[1] cannot.

You are apparently thinking of char * const choice = "RED";, but that's a completely different data type. With this declaration, choice can only be assigned a value in the declaration statement. However, choice[1]='D'; is perfectly legal with this declaration. You can combine the two restrictions with the declaration const char * const choice = "RED";

9. Sep 13, 2013 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It's my understanding that literal strings are like statics, and exist from start to termination of a program, so why should assigning a pointer to a literal string be undefined? Trying to change a value in the literal string via the pointer would be illegal / undefined behavior, but the pointer assignment shouldn't be an issue.

10. Sep 13, 2013 #9

jedishrfu

Thanks for the explanation, but I was referring to char * as the simplest solution to the OP question.

char *choice = "RED";

He can use choice for whatever he wants.

11. Sep 14, 2013 #10

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It depends on the computer architecture and how strict the compiler is. With something like a uC with (modified) 'Harvard' architecture pointers to program literal strings that might be in ROM or flash and pointers to data in ram might require different memory access methods or pointer sizes, so a ram pointer assignment might be illegal or at least a warning.

12. Sep 14, 2013 #11

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The point I was making is how string literals are defined in the C89 and later standards. From the C89 standard, section 3.1.4:

A character string literal has static storage duration and type "array of char", and is initialized with the given characters. A wide string literal has static storage duration and type "array of wchar_t", and is initialized with the wide characters corresponding to the given multibyte characters. ...

Identical string literals of either form need not be distinct. If the program attempts to modify a string literal of either form, the behavior is undefined.

So it would seem that only an attempt to modify a string is undefined, not the usage of a pointer to access a literal string. The type "array of char" or "array of wchar_t" would be the same regardless of where the string literal was stored (ROM, RAM, code section of a program, ... ).

13. Sep 14, 2013 #12

nsaspook

Science Advisor

In general I agree on Von Neumann/Princeton architecture, C89 compliance pulls a little slight of hand here by hiding the details using "fat pointers" aka "generic pointers" on Harvard architecture but there are still many C compilers for embedded systems that are not strict C89 on this point (The Microchip C18 compiler is an example) for efficiency on small systems.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13484050/pointer-for-rom-variable-in-a-ram-variable

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  14. Sep 14, 2013 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wasn't clear with my previous post.

There's nothing wrong per se with char* ptr; ...; ptr="RED"; ...; ptr="BLUE"; What's wrong is assigning into that pointer: *ptr = 'A';. What's worse is that most compilers won't report this as an error. You don't find out until runtime.

Declaring the variable as a const char* pointer (or char const*, same thing) and assignments such as ptr="RED"; are still legal, but now *ptr = 'A'; becomes a compile-time error.

15. Sep 14, 2013 #14

jedishrfu

I agree. I was assuming the OP had enough knowledge not to shoot himself in the foot with C. I used to teach C to others in my company as part of inhouse training and that assumption wasn't always true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted