1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ca(H2PO4)2 + NaOH(limited) → CaHPO4 + ?

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    This is a problem I was trying to help some chem students with. This is all that was given.

Ca(H2PO4)2 + NaOH(limited) → CaHPO4 +

Will one hydrogen be neutralized on each dihydrogen phosphate to yield Na2HPO4 and water? This is my guess so that the two phosphate ions stay the same/get the same neutralization. It's hard to say what those four hydrogens and limited NaOH would actually make...

Ca(H2PO4)2 + 2NaOH(limited) → CaHPO4 + Na2HPO4 + 2H2O

They had another problem that was exactly the same but had Mg in place of Ca. Would that reaction be the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Seems logical to me. CaHPO4 is weakly soluble, so it can easily precipitate. Ditto for MgHPO4.

--

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    Just remembered that the problem said the Ca(H2PO4)2 and CaHPO4 were solid, and Mg(H2PO4)2 and MgHPO4 were aqueous. I suppose that doesn't affect the first one, but what about the second one with the Mg?

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ksp for CaHPO4 is 6.58 and for MgHPO4 5.82 - this is not a large difference, so I don't think they should behave differently. Unless we are talking about some fancy geochemical reactions.

--
    methods

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5
    This is just introductory chemistry, so nothing too complicated.
    Thanks for your response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook