1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility and Gibbs free energy Qs

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are a problems I wasn't sure about on my test. Trying to get answers for ones I had to guess on.

1. What is the maximum [Mg] that can be achieved in an aqueous solution of Mg(OH)2 with a pH=12.50? Ksp (Mg(OH)2)=5.6e-12

2. Determine the max solubility of CaF2 that can dissolve in a 0.10 M HF solution. Given Ksp (CaF2)=1.5e-10 and Ka (HF)= 3.5e-4

3. Consider the reaction below:
    N2(g) + 3H2(g) -> 2NH3
    The standard free energy change for this reaction is ΔG0 = -33.3 kJ at 25oC. What is the reaction mixture consisting of 0.50 atm N2, 0.50 atm H2 and 10.0 atm NH3?

4. For the following, determine Kp at 25C.
    NH4HS (s) <--> H2S (g) + NH3 (g)
    ΔH0=83.47 kJ/mol and ΔG0=17.5 kJ/mol

2. Relevant equations
    Ksp = [products]n
    Ka = [products]n/[reactants]m
    ΔG0=-RTlnK
    Kp=Kc(RT)Δn(gas)

3. The attempt at a solution

1. So I have no idea how to do this one with a certain pH and don't have a clue even where to start. I know how to do this without a given pH however.

2. I think this uses the common ion effect.
    HF + H2O <--> F- + H3O
    Using the Ka given I found that [F]= 5.74e-3 M
    Since this is a common ion, it pushes the reaction back towards CaF2 and so technically, the amount dissolved is the same as [Ca].
    CaF2 -> Ca + F2
    So Ksp = [2S]2
    1.5e-10 = [Ca][(5.74e-3)+2S]2
    [Ca]=??? I'm not getting one of the answer choices

3.Kp=P(NH3)2/[P(N2) x (P(H2))3]
    Kp= 1.6e3
    1.6e3 = Kc[(0.0821)(298)]-2
    Kc=.958
    ΔG = -33.3 + (8.314e-3)(298)ln(.958) = ??? Not getting one of the answer choices

4. Not getting anywhere close to one of the answers. Pretty much tried to solve it the same as #3 but in reverse I guess.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

1. If pH is given you can calculate concentration of [OH-], rest should be obvious - this is a common ion effect.

2. What are possible answers? My bet is that you can ignore F- from the CaF2 dissolution, I tried with and without and the difference was around 0.2%.

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook