Caculating tractive force (i need a formula)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tractive resistance for a car traveling at 70 km/h on a level road. The questioner is looking for the formula to calculate tractive resistance, but has been unable to find it online. They have calculated the rolling resistance and air resistance, but have not used the drag coefficient provided. Through the conversation, it is determined that the correct formula to use is F = -bAv, where b is the drag coefficient. However, there is some confusion about the units of the drag coefficient, and eventually it is discovered that the given drag coefficient of 0.025 is most likely a typo and should be 0.25. In summary, the formula to calculate tractive resistance is F
dan_bighit
i ve got the following question from my motor vechile diploma

kerbside weight 1360kg
rolling resistance 140N per 1000kg
frontal area 2m(squared)
drag coefficient 0.025

caculate the total tractive resistance when the car travels at 70 km/h on a level road?

what i need is the formula to work out tractive resistance I've searched for about 3 hours on the net but no luck.

any help appreciated

dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, ask yourself what is tractive resistance?

is it traction

dan_bighit said:
is it traction
Which is what in terms of the forces acting on a vechicle?

drag force

dan_bighit said:
drag force
Which would include the rolling resistance of the wheels and the fluid friction from the air, yes? So can you write down an equation for these two forces?

i can work out the rolling resistance and air resistance which is
rolling resistnce = 190.4N
air resistance = 452.76N

what i need is a formula so i can caculate the total tractive force

So, if the tractive force is the total or sum of all the drag forces acting on the vechicle, what do you think you should do now?

add them together

dan_bighit said:
add them together
Sounds good to me :approve:

ok here's the full question

kerbside weight 1360kg
frontal area 2m(squared)
drag coefficient 0.025

caculate the rolling resistance of the car?
caculate the gradient resistance when the car climbs a gradient of 1/20
caculate the air resistance of the car when it is traveling on a level road at 100 km/h?
caculate the total tractive resistance when the car travels at 70 km/h on a level road?

ive answered the top 3 questions but haven't used drag coeeficcient
and i thought that might come into tractive resistance but obvisily not. so where would that come into surly they couldent of just told you it for the sake of it.

You should have used the drag coefficient in calculating the air resistance of the car.

i got the formula formula form here http://www.webtec.co.uk/techinfo/equation/eqnfr/eqn01.htm

i think i see where I've gone wrong because I've worked out using 0.0462 when it should have been 0.025

if you could just clarfy this ill be happy thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
My best guess is that you are required to use Stoke's-type formula to calculate the drag;

[tex]F = -bAv[/tex]

where b is your drag coefficient. And we usually work in SI units, m, m/s2, N etc.

Last edited:
im abit confused now , what does the v mean.
so that formula on the website is wrong ?

dan_bighit said:
im abit confused now , what does the v mean.
so that formula on the website is wrong ?
v is the velocity or speed. No, the formula on that website is useful in some cases, but here you are given your own drag coefficient so you should use that. This formula is essentially the same as the one given on the website, with the exception of your own drag coefficient. Note, the correction in my previous post, the addition of cross sectional area A.

is air resistance the same as drag resistance or are they diffrent?

dan_bighit said:
is air resistance the same as drag resistance or are they diffrent?
For your purposes they're exactly the same.

so 0.025 x 19.444(m/s) = 0.4861 for stokes formula

0.0462 x 70^2(km/h) x 2 = 452.76N for the websites formula

these are 2 diffrent answers

thats where I am confused

Last edited:
I really don't know where your getting your numbers from, don't forget the area in Stokes formula and that the website uses different units. What are the units of your drag coefficient.

drag coefficiet units are k

dan_bighit said:
drag coefficiet units are k
and what might k stand for? Have you not been given any equation for calculating drag in your course?

Last edited:
no its and extra course I am taking but, its all course work based, no classroom time. the only thing i can think of that k stands for is kilos.

dan_bighit said:
no its and extra course I am taking but, its all course work based, no classroom time. the only thing i can think of that k stands for is kilos.
No, that would be kg. In that case, I suggest you use my formula above;

[tex]F = -bAv[/tex]

so 0.025 x 2m^2 x 19.444 m/s = 1.944N

drag = 1.944 N

this doesent seem write

dan_bighit said:
so 0.025 x 2m^2 x 19.444 m/s = 1.944N

drag = 1.944 N

this doesent seem write
No it doesn't. Hmmm... its very difficult to do this without knowing the units of k.

Last edited:
its all metric

heres the question again

kerbside weight 1360kg
frontal area (A) 2m^2
drag coefficient (k) 0.025

so basically i need to caculate rolling resistance and air resistance and this will give the total tractive resistance.

which i got rolling resistance off 190.4N
using
RR = GVW x R /100
so i done 1360 x 14 / 100

now i need to work out air resistance (drag)

Last edited:
Okay then, perhaps quadratic drag would be more appropriate;

[tex]F = -\frac{1}{2}k\rho A v^2[/tex]

Where k, p, A and v are the drag coefficient, density of air, cross sectional area and velocity respectively. Do you have a model answer for this question?

0.5 x 0.025 x 1.275 x 2 x 19.444 m/s^2 = 12.05N

does this seem write I am not to sure

thanks for your help

I think I've found your problem. Your drag coefficient it way too low. 0.25 would be a more appropriate number, I think perhaps you question has a typo in it. There is no car I know of (engineers feel free to chip in here) with a k 0f 0.025.

i think that's probably cracked it then

thanks

dan_bighit said:
i think that's probably cracked it then

thanks
No problem, I'm sorry it took so long! I can't believe it took me that long to spot it!

1. What is tractive force?

Tractive force is the force that a vehicle's engine applies to the wheels to move the vehicle forward. It is also known as pulling or towing force.

2. How is tractive force calculated?

Tractive force can be calculated using the formula: Tractive Force = Coefficient of Friction * Weight of the Vehicle. The coefficient of friction is the measure of the grip between the tires and the road surface, and the weight of the vehicle is the force exerted by gravity on the vehicle.

3. What is the unit of measurement for tractive force?

The unit of measurement for tractive force is Newtons (N) in the metric system and pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

4. Can tractive force be increased?

Yes, tractive force can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction or by reducing the weight of the vehicle. This can be achieved by using tires with better grip or by removing unnecessary weight from the vehicle.

5. Why is tractive force important?

Tractive force is important because it determines the maximum weight that a vehicle can tow or the maximum load that it can carry. It also affects the vehicle's acceleration and ability to climb steep inclines.