Cake vs Pie: A Scientific Analysis

• Thread starter encorp
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
Like Turbo's, my wife bakes a killer pie, I am happy with that. We had a major tragedy earlier this week when the freezer door did not close completely and we lost the 4 gal of wild bleckberries we picked 2 weeks ago. :(
Aaaaah! That's horrible. Blackberry pie is a favorite here, too. Plus my wife uses them to make smoothies for her breakfast. A couple of years ago, the wild blackberries came in like crazy, and I picked a gallon a day within sight of my house. I want another good berrying year like that again.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cake should only be eaten at funerals.

turbo
Gold Member
Cake should only be eaten at funerals.
And maybe at goodbye parties for soon-to-be former co-workers. You don't want to spend the time and effort to make a nice pie, so you chip in and buy a cheap cake at the supermarket bakery.

pie is so much better! and cheesecake is NOT cake - it should be cheesepie! and tart is just a flatter pie with no top! and pies are so much easier to make than cakes that never rise... and pies are always moist... and you can top pies with all kinds of toppings - cream, meringue, ice cream, fruit, chocolate sauce... my favourite ie lemon meringue pie! and there is no boring cake bit to eat through.... :9

turbo
Gold Member
and there is no boring cake bit to eat through.... :9
Have you noticed how many wedding cakes, birthday cakes, etc are a simple yellow-cake recipe with icing and decorations? The icing and decorations are like putting lipstick and earrings on a pig. Pie RULES!

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cakes don't have boring cake bits either. :biggrin:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
pie is so much better! and cheesecake is NOT cake - it should be cheesepie! and tart is just a flatter pie with no top! and pies are so much easier to make than cakes that never rise... and pies are always moist... and you can top pies with all kinds of toppings - cream, meringue, ice cream, fruit, chocolate sauce... my favourite ie lemon meringue pie! and there is no boring cake bit to eat through.... :9
Cheesepie...lol...

btw, I love Allie's blog! (from which this thread started) its so funny! so much so that I have spent the last 24 hours reading all of it.... really, I've read all of it now.... my eyes hurt but I am happy 8)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Though I will normally take cake over pie, when Tsu and I got married, we had a tiny little cake to make my mother and grandmother happy, and some number of the intoxicating and titanic, Madonna Inn, Banana Cream Pies.

During another stop by the Madonna Inn, we got the Caveman Room, but that's another story.
http://www.madonnainn.com/rooms/137.php

Last edited:
I love a good lemon cake, and carrot cake WITH NO NUTS, unless we're talking about Gajar Halwa with almonds. Seriously, other than that pie is the king!

Nice room BTW Ivan! :)