Calc of variations, minimizing functionals question

• Thread starter Coffee_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functionals
In summary, the physics book does not use the Lagrange multiplier ##µN## in the minimization of ##A[F]-µB[F]##, but instead uses a constant ##N## to avoid the problem of finding a solution with an already fixed ##µ##.
Coffee_
Consider the following problem:

##A## is a functional (some integral operator to be more specific) of a (complex) function ##F##.

We want to minimize ##A[F]## wrt. to a constraint ##B[F]=\int (|F|²)=N##

If I read around online I find that in general such extremization problems are done by minimizing:

##A[F]-µ(B[F]-N) ##

Where ##µ## is a Lagrange multiplier.

My physics book does it slightly differently however, it doesn't include the ##-µN## term in the minimization.

They just say that it's alright to minimize ##A[F]-µB[F]## for a fixed ##µ##.

Why can they use a slightly different way or extremizing a functional under a constraint than the general method I seem to find online?

Physics news on Phys.org
N is an arbitrary constant, right?
So it should be acceptable to use N=0.

No, this is a physics book on Bose Einstein condensates and N is the number of particles in the system. I am seriously confused now because now I've started looking more online for general explanations of this integral constraint minimization and some DO include the ''µN'' part and some don't.

Example where they don't : http://www.mpri.lsu.edu/textbook/Chapter8-b.htm (see section integral constraints)

Example where they DO: http://liberzon.csl.illinois.edu/teaching/cvoc/node38.html (see eq 2.50)

Why isn't ##A[F]-µC[F] = A[F]-µ(B[F]-N) ## with ##C = B[F] - N## the same optimization problem?

fresh_42 said:
Why isn't ##A[F]-µC[F] = A[F]-µ(B[F]-N) ## with ##C = B[F] - N## the same optimization problem?

It would be if you indeed correctly switch to ##C[F]## which they don't, they explicitly do minimize ##A[F]-µB[F]## but I think I understand it now.

What they do is do not vary µ during the minimization such that ##µN## is just a constant which can be neglected. They will then find a solution ##F(µ,x)## which would need to be plugged into ##B[F(x,µ)]=N## to fix ##µ##.

The difference here is that if you'd minimize ##A[F]-µ(B[F]-N)## wrt. to both ##µ## and ##F## you'd get the correct ##µ## and ##F## simultaneously. Am I correct?

As far as I can see (draw some lines ...) you are right as long as there are no other constraints. If there were, the minimal ##A[F]## could have led you to a solution ##F(μ,x)## where the "plug-in" ##B[F(μ,x)] = N## is already out of the allowed area. This cannot happen if you couple it beforehand.

1. What is the purpose of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a functional, which is a function whose input is another function. It is used to solve problems where the goal is to minimize or maximize a certain quantity, also known as an objective function, subject to some constraints.

2. How is the calculus of variations different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the optimal value of a function with respect to a variable, while the calculus of variations deals with finding the optimal function itself. In other words, it focuses on finding the function that minimizes or maximizes an objective function, rather than just finding the value of the function at a certain point.

3. What is a functional and how is it different from a function?

A functional is a function whose input is another function, rather than a number or a variable. It represents a mapping from a set of functions to a set of real numbers. This is different from a function, which takes a number or variable as its input and outputs another number.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used in the calculus of variations?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a necessary condition for a function to be an extremum of a functional. It is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a functional by setting its derivative equal to zero. This allows us to solve for the unknown function and find the optimal solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to solve problems such as finding the shortest path between two points, minimizing energy or cost in a system, and optimizing the shape of objects for maximum strength or efficiency. Other applications include optimal control theory, optimal design, and image processing.